19: kiyoshi

(Comment goal is 11!)

Kirika was utterly wrong. Aomine threw them all for a loop as he absolutely decimated Seirin. Once Kuroko went back in, it didn’t seem to help all that much. In fact, if anything, it seemed that Kuroko would be traumatized after seeing that his style was absolutely useless against his former partner.

However, Kagami, Hyuuga, Izuki, Mitobe and Kuroko didn’t give up. They pushed their hardest, gave it their all, until the ending buzzer. No one gave up. They all fought until the end. But the difference in our scores only widened. No one shed a single tear. That day, we were completely and totally destroyed: 104 Touou to 72 Seirin.

Neither side exchanged words as they lined up, then bowed as the scores were announced. Then, the two teams packed up and off to the locker rooms they went. “Dammit!” Kagami slammed his fist into one of the lockers, obviously pissed. Other than that, the room was silent.

“Everyone, we still have two more games against Meisei and Senshinkan!” Riko reminded them, trying to get them to stop thinking about what had just happened. “We don’t have time to be sad!”

“Excuse me,” Kirika spoke up. “I need to use the restroom.”

“Oh, go ahead,” The coach shooed her off, so off the manager went. As she strode towards the women’s restroom, she almost bumped into a furious Aomine.

“Ah, excuse me,” She muttered, rounding him quickly. Suddenly, however, he caught her arm. “Uh, do you need something?” She questioned, fidgeting slightly. She really needed to pee.

“…No, it’s nothing,” The ace eventually grumbled, releasing her. “Sorry.”

“Okay bye!” She was off in a flash, running at full speed. Aomine watched her go, practically star struck. Then he chuckled, running a hand through his hair.

“Damn she’s a quick one. Too bad she doesn’t have a bigger rack, though.”

~*~

In the remaining two games, Kuroko didn’t play. In the first game, he was subbed out after repeated mistakes. Kirika could understand why he was experiencing a sudden slump, but that didn’t mean either her or coach would stand for it to affect the games imperative to get them into the Inter High.

Without him, it was tougher as the passes that had saved the team many times before were nowhere to be seen, but Seirin took the win against Meisei High school at 89 to 79.

In the Senshinkan game, it was even harder. While the upper classmen had been studying them for the past year, and with Kirika’s information, Seirin somehow managed to pull through at 99 to 97. That game gave them their ticket into the Inter High.

“Inter High, here we come!” The team cheered, mostly having moved on from the Touou game. Kirika was smiling, her clipboard hugged to her chest as the Seirin basketball team made their way home after the game.

For the next few days, Seirin went back to practicing like normal. However, Kagami was on medical leave again, having pushed himself too far in the game against Aomine. He’d be out for two weeks, but this time Kirika wasn’t worried that he’d injure himself again.

Not only that, but on the day that Kagami was allowed to return to practice, a new arrival appeared. Kagami showed up first. "Hey," He greeted.

"There he is!"

"We were worried about you."

"Teme Kagami," Hyuuga growled at him. "You really didn't show up after that.”

"Sorry," The redhead immediately bowed, causing the captain to sweatdrop.

"I-if you're going to apologize, just come in the first place!"

"Hey," A new voice Kirika didn't recognize greeted as a new person stepped into the gym. He was tall, built and—was wearing the Seirin uniform?? "Let's practice!"

".. Good to see you, Kiyoshi," Koganei said hesitantly, everyone trying to figure out why he was wearing his uniform.

"Yeah."

"Don't give me that!" Hyuuga squinted at the new person as he grabbed his shirt. "Why are you wearing your uniform?!"

"I got excited about coming to practice again!" Kiyoshi answered before Hyuuga started shaking him.

"Are you serious? Are you?"

"Yeah!"
“Are you really though?!” After a bit longer of the two going back and forth, everyone settled down and the new guy got changed into actual practice wear.

"I've been in the hospital since last summer. Because of my surgery and rehab, I've been taking a break. Kiyoshi Teppei, 193 cm, 81 kilos. My position is center. Nice to meet you," The newcomer introduced himself.

Well good, we needed an actual center, Kirika thought to herself as she watched and listened in from beside Riko.

"Teppei, you're sure you're okay now?" Riko asked, and he smiled.

"Yeah! I'm completely healed," Kiyoshi replied with gusto. "I've forgotten some stuff, but I wasn't doing nothing in the hospital."

"Did you learn something?" Izuki asked eagerly.

"Yeah," Kiyoshi grinned, "Card games."

".. So?"

"It's fun."

"That's got nothing to do with basketball!" Izuki and Hyuuga yelled.

"Also, one more thing," He added, looking serious. "I'm putting my undefeated three year high school career on the line. I'm serious about doing this. My goal is, of course..." He trailed off. "Where is it?"

"Huh?" Everyone looked baffled.

"Where's the Inter high being held?" Kiyoshi asked.

"It’s gonna be at Maruzen Intec Arena in Osaka,” Kirika informed him, and he nodded.

"Anyway, if you're going to climb a mountain, you've got to aim for the top," Kiyoshi continued, "but let's not forget to enjoy the scenery."

Practice began, and after doing the usual menus, they went with five on five. Immediately, Kagami fouled as he dunked. "You're too forceful!" Riko reprimanded, "Pay more attention to your surroundings!"

“What do we have here…” Kirika trailed off, her eyes on the redhead as he practically growled and stomped back to defense.

"Doesn't he seem especially on edge?" Kogenei voiced as the team watched him as well.

"Yeah, at first I thought it was because he was focusing," Izuki agreed, "But I was wrong. He's acting like he did when he first joined, he doesn't try to rely on anyone else. He's playing basketball by himself."

"I don't think that's quite the right idea," The ginger observed the redhead. I should have a talk with him soon...

~*~

Dear Diary,
WE GOT INTO THE INTER HIGH!!! Omg I can't contain myself!! I'm so excited, I told all of my friends and my parents! They told me they'd try to mae it to some of the games, but father probably will only come if we get into the championships.
No, not if, when! Come on Rika, mentality matters!!
Anyway, since Kagami's been out for a while, and Kuroko's been in a slump, I suppose I should take this chance to talk to one or both of them. Well, I'll have to remember to do that since I forget in the moment. Maybe I should write it on my hand in Sharpie? That'd work.
Mom'll kill me, but it's okay. Until next time!
Sincerely,
Kirika Ichinose