23: day off

(Comment Goal is 11!)

“Huh?” Riko and Kirika blinked in surprise. It was their day off, and yet all of the second years were in the gym.

“Hey,” Hyuuga greeted, smiling.

“Hey, I told you to rest,” Riko said in exasperation as she handed the paper the two girls had been going over to the manager.

“It’s just for a little bit,” The captain shrugged.

“Don’t push yourselves too hard!” She frowned before glancing back at Kirika. She nodded.

“By the way guys, the results of the inter high are out,” The ginger told them, gaining all of their attention as they gathered around to hear the news.

“So, what happened?” Hyuuga questioned as Riko and Kirika hoisted themselves up onto the stage.

“Just as we expected after we left,” Riko said, “The schools attended by the Generation of Miracles took the top spots. Third, Yosen. Second, Touou. And first,” She paused, probably for the dramatic effect. Kirika approved. “Rakuzan.”

“Rakuzan..” Izuki muttered. “They’re the ones who took the Winter Cup last year,” He recalled.

“Yeah,” The coach nodded. “Rakuzan’s captain this year is a member of the generation of miracles.”

“Anyway, Touou placed second?” Koganei doubted. “Just how strong is Rakuzan?!”

“The fact of the matter is,” Kirika explained, folding her hands in her lap. “these results do not show the strength of the generation of miracles, considering none of them played in the final games.”

“That’s right,” Riko added, “It’s true that all three schools are strong, though.”

“Wait, but why would they bench their star players?” The captain demanded, and Kirika knew she would have been confused had Momoi not told her why over text while they were talking the day before.

“I don’t know,” Riko admitted, her gaze down. “I could understand one player being benched, but if it was all three…There must be some reason,” She concluded strongly. Kirika was about to speak up about what she knew when Riko suddenly stood up and jumped off the stage and blew her whistle. “But since you’re all here, why don’t we get started?”

~*~

“That’s enough!” The coach called, the boys running in after a drill.

“All right!”

“Why are we practicing normally now?!” Koganei panted along with everyone else, causing Riko to sweat drop as Kirika snickered.

“Huh? I was watching you practice on your own, and…”

“Oh man, I’m drenched in sweat!” The boy complained as he ran a hand through his sweat-slickened hair.

“I’m going to go change,” Hyuuga announced, everyone walking away to do the same. “We didn’t get the day off at all.”

“Huh? What?! What are you doing here?” The girls heard Koganei gasp, drawing their attention. “What’s wrong?” Kirika raised an eyebrow as she saw Momoi, drenched in her uniform.

“Um, is Tetsu here?” She asked quietly, obviously depressed about something.

“No, not right now…” Hyuuga choked out, all the boys’ attention on the female’s chest.

“Momoi!” Kirika called out, jumping off the stage and jogging over. The pinkette’s face brightened a bit. “What’s going on? Wait, before that,” She glared back at the boys. “Let’s get you a towel and a new shirt, okay?”

“O-okay..” She nodded, so the Seirin manager took her hand and led her into the back while Riko took extra care of the boys.

“I don’t have any extra shirts, but here’s one of Riko’s,” Kirika handed her a pink shirt along with a towel. “I’ll be right outside if you need anything, alright?”

“Yes,” The female nodded, flushing slightly as she turned to change. “Thank you, Kirika.”

“No problem, let me know when you’re done and we can go back out,” She shut the door behind her, then leaned beside it. I wonder what caused her to be so depressed? Maybe I should ask Aomine…

Therefore, as Momoi was changing, Kirika sent a message to the Touou ace. He responded in seconds, asking where they were and explaining what had happened. So my speculation was right, the manager sighed, typing a reply right as Momoi emerged from the room.

“I’m finished,” She said, causing Kirika to glance up from her phone. “But the shirt… is a bit tight.”

“I can see that…” The ginger grimaced. “You know what, here,” She took off her blazer, handing it to the pinkette.

“Thank you,” Momoi took it gratefully. It was slightly big on her, which Kirika supposed was a good thing.

“Right then, shall we go?” The Seirin manager beamed, holding out her hand again. Taking it, the two made their way back into the gym. “We’re back,” Kirika announced as she opened the door.

“Hey,” Riko greeted as the boys’ jaws dropped. Kirika immediately positioned herself in front of Momoi, who didn’t seem to notice nor mind. “We’re good in here,” The coach made a shooing motion with her hand. “So go run laps outside,” She instructed, causing the players to gasp.

“Huh?! But it’s raining outside…”

“Mentality training,” Kirika smiled warmly at them as she pulled Momoi over to Riko. “Get going.”

“R-right,” Koganei faltered, but the boys were soon out the doors, leaving the three girls alone.

“Um..” Kirika suddenly got a bit shy, looking anywhere but the two other humans as she spoke her next words. “Momoi, you should probably know, uh, I messaged Aomine… and he’s on his way,” She admitted rushedly.

“What?!” Her face drained of color for a moment. “O-oh, I see… Did he tell you?”

“Yeah,” The ginger smiled guiltily. “But he sounds sorry, at the very least.”

“Really?” The Touou manager’s eyes regained some sparkle at her words, and Kirika nodded as she got out her phone to show Momoi the messages. However, right before she could, the gym door opened.

“Hey!” The streetballers called, walking in and folding their umbrellas.

“Tetsu!” Momoi took off instantly, running towards him.

“Momoi?” He looked surprised.

“Whoa, that bear’s on the attack!” Kiyoshi reeled back, and Kirika chortled but held her hand over her mouth as she leaned on the wall. Why is that so funny?

“Tetsu!” Momoi plowed the phantom over, and they ended up on the floor. The other streetballers glared at him. A few moments later, Momoi was sitting in a chair and Kuroko was holding out a drink.

“Here you are,” He said as she took it.

“Thank you,” She responded, holding it with both hands.

“Coach, what’s going on?” Furihata asked Riko.

“Well…” She broke off as the doors to the gym opened, revealing the boys soaked from running in the rain. Kirika suddenly felt smug but didn’t express it on her face.

“What happened, Momoi?” Kuroko questioned, ignoring the people coming in. However, right as the female was going to open her mouth to explain, the doors that had just closed burst open with a bang.

“Satsuki!”