52: challenge

(Comment goal is 15.)

The hoop was replaced a while later, and the two teams got back on the court. The game resumed; Aizen didn't allow Kise to score even once, and the others defended like their lives depended on it. One more shot got through Fukuda Sogo's defense, but that was the end of it. Kaijo suffered defeat as the end of game buzzer sounded, the scores being 86 to 15.

Only two of the points scored by Fukuda Sogo in the fourth quarter were that of Haizaki. The rest were solely done by Aizen, since anyone else attempting to score would be blocked by Kise's copy of Murasakibara. The audience clapped their support for Fukuda Sogo and yelled their sympathy to Kaijo as the two teams left the court.

"This has been quite the night," Aizen chuckled, having celebratory dinner with the team at a nearby restaurant.

"I'll say!" A few of the other players laughed. "You breaking the hoop and actually cracking the ground was crazy! Not to mention how cool your shots were, nothing could stop you!"

"Don't boost his ego too much," Takizawa warned teasingly with a slight smirk. "The size of his head might suffocate us."

"Yeah right."

"Wait, but I'm curious," A first year piped up. "How did it go with Aomine?"

"Oh, that..." the ginger trailed off with a peculiar expression on his face. Earlier, as they had emerged from the venue to head to the restaurant they were currently eating at, a certain someone had blocked their path.

"Hey," Aomine had said with a haughty air about him as he stood before the coach. "Where's your center?"

"Why do you want to know?" Takizawa had returned the question, drawing a scoff from the Touou player.

"I just wanted to see how he'd stack up against me is all. So is he with you guys or not?" The ace demanded.

"I'm here," The person he was looking for stepped out of the crowd, causing Aomine's eyes to narrow. "Hello again, Aomine," Aizen offered his greetings.

"Yeah, hi. Come on, there's a court over there," He jerked his head towards it, but the ginger just glanced at his coach, as if asking for permission.

"Then we'll be going ahead," Takizawa sighed, patting his player on the shoulder. "Don't stay out for too long, got that Yano?"

"Don't worry sir," He replied as he faced the Touou ace, the wind ruffling their hair as Aizen's green eyes gleamed. "This won't take long."

"Ha," Aomine smirked. "Cocky bastard."

"Be careful," Haizaki mumbled to him as he passed him, making sure to glare at his old teammate before leaving along with the rest of the team.

"Lead the way," the second year closed-eye smiled. Narrowing his eyes again, Aomine turned and did so a second later, allowing the center to follow him. They arrived at the court, and he threw the ball in his hand at Aizen, who caught it effortlessly.

"You can have possession first," He said, lowering himself into a defensive position in front of him. Humming, Aizen moved the ball to his side, where he started dribbling. And then, Aomine didn't know what hit him.

He thought he was the best. There was no way Kagami could beat him one on one. There was no way anyone on the planet could! Except Aizen, apparently, considering how the proud Touou ace was reduced to his knees in just a few plays. No matter how he blocked, no matter how he tried to shoot, nothing worked. All of Aizen's shots went into the basket. None of his own shots made it past the rim.

"You've done well," Aizen smiled as he offered a hand up to Aomine's panting form. "It's been a while since I've really had to push myself, but thanks to you, I got a good workout."

"Ha, you really are something else..." Aomine chuckled, accepting the hand up. "I can see why Haizaki follows you around like a lost puppy now. Man," He ran a hand through his hair. "Can't believe I've lost twice in just a few days, this sucks."

"Well, if you ever feel like duking it out again," Aizen handed him one of his business cards. "Feel free to give me a call. Until then," He lifted his hand in farewell as he walked away, leaving the Touou ace alone with his thoughts.

"...And here I thought Kirika was the special one... fuck, what's wrong with me?"

~*~

"...we ended up with a tie," Aizen shrugged, easily lying through his teeth. The answer caused murmurs to go up throughout their table, each person processing and accessing the information eagerly. However, only one of them could tell that he was lying. Haizaki exhaled through his nose, a slight smile on his face.

Like hell it was a tie, the only way Aizen ever plays is a one sided massacre. The only reason I said to be careful earlier was because... the ace's gaze grew hard as he glanced out a window. He tends to get obsessed with people that are proven to be stronger than him, and I know Aizen doesn't want any more extra weight hanging on him.

But anyway, his gaze returned to the table and his teammates that sat around it. His eyes locked with Aizen's; they shared a knowing look.

Our next opponent is Seirin, so we can't let our guards down just yet. There are up to two games left; whoever wins those two games will be named the Winter Cup Champions.

We will be the ones to come out on top.

~*~

"What's wrong, Kuroko?" Kagami questioned, the phantom having stopped even as the team continued forward.

"I'm still a little peeved that Kise didn't fulfill his promise to us," He replied with a frown. "But I can't fault him since I know he did his best, but Fukuda Sogo was still able to beat him."

"Yeah..." The redhead agreed. "Aizen's a strong one. And we gotta face him tomorrow," He muttered in a grave tone before outstretching his first to his partner. "Let's give it all we got, alright?"

"Yes," Kuroko returned the fist bump, but noted the acceptance and fear in Kagami's eyes. It wasn't surprising, but still, the phantom found it annoying. It wasn't like Aizen was all powerful, there's no way he'd be able to beat Aomine, or even Akashi for that matter. So, if there was even the slightest chance of victory, Kuroko would fight.

But little did the phantom of Seirin know that Aizen had already beaten Aomine, and that he had yet to lose to anyone ever since he started playing. And little did he know, the optimism he was holding onto for dear life would be ripped to shreds in front of his very eyes the next day.