53: shoes

It’s finally time, Kagami thought once he’d awoken the day of the semifinals, closing his eyes. The Winter Cup semifinals…Our rematch against Fukuda Sogo… Against Aizen.. His eyes opened sharply. Let’s do this.

Suddenly, he glanced beside him; Alex slept there, naked as usual. “ALEX—WHAT--?! WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING IN MY BED?!”

“Mmmm it’s super cold,” She moaned while rubbing her eyes, just having woken up from the redhead’s shout. “Don’t take all the covers.”

“THEN PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!” He meteor jammed a set of clothes at her, causing the female to gasp and fall.

“How dare you throw clothes at your master using a move I taught you?!”

In the end, Alex put on the clothes and Kagami got started on breakfast. “Sheesh,” He groaned. “Alex, were you okay last night?” He questioned, referring to the Haizaki incident.

“Yeah, of course,” She sort of glowered at the table in front of her. “That bastard showed up before he could do any real damage.”

“…and what about Tatsuya?” the redhead grit his teeth. It had been a while since he’d seen his master, so hearing how she referred to Aizen made him angry. He had been used to it, back in the states.

“It was just a scratch,” Alex answered. “While he was knocked out, there aren’t any concerns since I took him to the doctor. He’s already been discharged and is back with his team at the hotel.”

“…I see,” He smiled bitterly. Soon, breakfast was served.

“I can imagine why you showed up then,” she smiled warmly as she reached down for her chopsticks. “Don’t worry. I’m sure Tatsuya felt the same way.”

“What are you talking about?” Kagami’s eyebrows furrowed as he looked at her in confusion. Her eyebrows shot upwards. “I went out because I saw Aizen leaving the court, though I guess we went through different doors since he came in a whole different direction than I did,” He chuckled sheepishly as Alex’s expression darkened.

“Oh, so that was it,” She poked at her food. “Still Yano’s dog to the end, huh?”

“Yeah,” A smile slipped onto the redhead’s face. “I hope so.”

“Anyway,” His basketball mentor cleared her throat, clearly wanting to change the subject. “Are you ready? Today’s the day you’ve been dreading.”

“Yeah, of course,” He scoffed, reaching back to check his bag, just in case. Good thing he did, too, considering his shoes were falling apart. Thus, he and Kuroko headed around to shops in the area, trying to find new basketball shoes for themselves. Kagami had already called Aizen numerous times, but the ginger wasn’t answering. Such a thing wasn’t exactly worrisome, considering who it was, but it was still sort of grating on him.

After another failed attempt, Kuroko called up Momoi to enlist her help. Thus, there they stood: Kuroko, Kagami, Momoi and Aomine. “I appreciate you helping us look for shoes,” the redhead told the manager before glaring back at the Touou player. “But what are you doing here?!”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

“Dai-chan has lots of basketball shoes and he said you could have some,” Momoi beamed in reply.

“What? I didn’t say that!” Aomine denied. “Don’t be ridiculous, Satsuki!”

“You guys wear the same size, right?” She tilted her head. “29.5 centimeters.”

“How do you even know that?!” Kagami demanded.

“Here!” She produced a box of shoes which were, in fact, the right size for the redhead.

“Hey! You can’t just take my shoes!”

“These are the same ones I wear…”

“He happened to have a pair,” the manager told him. “They’re a different color, but you’ve always worn the same type of shoes, right, Kagamin?”

“Ack!” He flinched, then blushed slightly as he thought of the reason why he always wore the same type of shoe, no matter how hard it was for him to find it. Obviously, it was because of Aizen. Looking at them closely, his facial expression softened. “…This isn’t a bad color…”

“Fine,” the Touou ace sighed. “If you can beat me one-on-one, you can have them,” He challenged, spinning a basketball on his finger.

“Why do I have to do that?!” the redhead exploded. “I have a game after this! And—”

“We’ll play best of three,” He shrugged, the ball going back under his arm. “It’ll be quick.”

“I told you—” Kagami went to protest.

“Just do it,” Aomine grumbled as he stepped past him. “While we’re at it, I’ll give you another one of my lectures.” So the two aces went on to play, the redhead getting his ass handed to him. During the minigame, Kagami learned that Aomine had played Aizen the day before, and lost; that was the reason the ace was acting a bit more depressed than usual.

“Satsuki,” Aomine called, gaining her and Kuroko’s attention as he sauntered towards them. “I’m finished, let’s go.”

“Isn’t it a little soon?” She looked surprised.

“I said it wouldn’t take long.”

“How did it go?” The phantom questioned.

“I crushed him,” Aomine deadpanned.

“Hey, wait!” Kagami yelled. “One more! One more time! I want the shoes, but more than anything I hate ending on a loss! Let’s go one more time!”

“Don’t you have a game?” Aomine grumbled as he picked up the box with the shoes inside it. “What are you talking about? Here,” He tossed it at him, the redhead catching it easily. “They’re yours.”

“What’s going on?”

“Either way, I don’t need them anymore.”

“I…I can’t take these when I lost! Take them back!”

“Just wear them, you idiot!” Aomine seethed before sighing. “You’re good the way you are. You’ll at least put up a fight against Ichinose, since you’re playing him today,” He glanced back at him. “Right?”

“You mean Aizen?” Kagami raised an eyebrow. “He and Kirika have different surnames because she took her mother’s maiden name after their parents divorced.”

“Oh, is that so…” He glanced up at the sky. “Well, that name never really suited him anyway..” the ace trailed off before giving the redhead a hard look. “If you play like trash because you’re wearing uncomfortable shoes, I’ll kill you. We’ll postpone our match.”

“…Thanks, then,” Kagami muttered with a soft expression on his face. “I’ll take them. But we’re just postponing our game!” He reiterated strongly.

“Just go!”

(Sorry for the filler chapter, but I thought you'd like a lil peek on how Alex talks/feels about Aizen as well as Kagami's obsession with him. Other than that, I'll see you all next week!)