Chapter 7: Teamwork

Shadow's POV:

We both stand up as the robots approach. After the last batch of robots that we destroyed, Eggman must be struggling to produce more.

As I summon up a chaos blast, Amy's hammer appears in her hand.

There's only 7, thank chaos.

She charges towards one of the robots, summer salting gracefully as it's claws try to grab her. Giving it a swift whack, it's sent flying into a tree.

Not bad, could be better though.

"Duck."

She crouches just in time as a laser shoots over her head. I send a blast of energy, and smugly watch the robot sizzle and spark as Amy gets to her feet.

"Since when do these things have lasers?!"

She smashes another robot while I teleport above one.

"Since Eggman got ahold of a chaos emerald."

Dropping on top of the robot, spears of chaos energy form in my hands as I shove them into the robot.

Looking over to Amy, she jumps to avoid the swinging arms of the robot but fails to notice the other arm coming around. Trying to tackle two robots at a time, I'm only able to watch as it snatches her by the waist and slams her to the ground.

Her hammer quickly reappears in her hands just in time to stop the robots claws from slicing into her. The robot grabs the handle, trying to force it down against her throat.

"You okay pinky?"

Her arms shake with the effort of trying to keep the bar from smashing her wind pipe, gritting her teeth as she yells back "never better!"

Holding off the two robots, I charge up enough chaos energy to release a surge, which sends them flying across the forest. Running to help Amy, another robot moves to intercept me.

Dammit.

Watching her struggle underneath the robot as I fight off mine, she kicks at its stomach and is able to lift the robot off the ground.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

My arms shake as I try to force the robot off. As the body of my hammer gets closer and closer to my throat, I desperately muster up my strength and kick at the bottom of the robot. As it's lifted up off the ground, I'm able to hold one of my hands out to summon a second hammer. It's an ability I developed last year, and It's a good thing I did.

With the hammer summoned in the air, I'm able to attract it like a magnet straight to the robot.

With only one arm left to hold the weight of the robot, I gag as it shoves my first hammer down onto my throat. Beckoning my second hammer to return, it slams into the robot and sparks are sent flying.

Getting to my feet as I gasp for air, I angrily swing at the robot again and again until it's reduced to a pile of scrap metal.

With my chest heaving, I turn to see Shadow finishing off the last robot.

Watching at he grips the sides of it, pulses of golden light are sent radiating through the robot as it short circuits.

That must be chaos energy.

Watching the robot fall to the ground, I notice him looking to see if I have any injuries.

"I'm fine. You okay?"

"I'm the ultimate life form, of course I'm okay."

Rolling my eyes, I say "more like an ultimate asshole, thanks for the help back there."

Watching him cross his arms, he replies "I was a little busy pinky."

I look around the clearing, realizing that he did take down more robots than me. "You're lucky I'm exhausted from being strangled by a robot."

"Hmph."

I glare at the black hedgehog, though I doubt it bothers him. "Let's head back, I'm starving."

He nods, and my curiosity gets the better of me. "Do you even need to eat?"

"I will never die of starvation, if that's what you're asking."

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

After meeting with the others, pinky agrees that baking some sweet treats is a good way to celebrate the village recovering from Robotnik's attacks.

For now, anyways.

I have to admit that even though I won't die from starvation, the feeling of hunger is rather troublesome. Especially as the smell of cookies fills the faker's house. With my mouth watering, the little hedgehog walks out balancing an unbelievable amount of baked goods. She sets everything down on the counter and goes back to grab more. She even made lemonade and a few pizzas for everyone. Watching as Rouge helps her put down the cookies, muffins, pie, cake, and brownies, I'm still trying to figure out how she baked everything so fast. Along with where to even start. As I grab one of everything, I see the pink hedgehog snicker.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Watching Shadow stack a plate full of sweets and pizza, I can't help but grin as I remember him saying he doesn't need to eat. He notices, but continues with his plate anyways.

Feeling my muscles tense, I notice Sonic walking up to me. "Thanks for doing this Ames."

I manage to nod. "No problem."

Feeling my stomach tighten as he doesn't walk away, he nervously scratches the back of his head. "We could really use your help defeating Eggman, if you're willing to stay."

He's only ever cared about keeping people safe. No matter how bad he's treated me in the past, I can't deny the fact that he's a hero to a lot of people. And I want to be one again too.

"I am."

Looking at his outstretched hand, I shake it. "Welcome back to the team Ames."