Chapter 31: Calm Before the Storm

One week later, Maria's POV:

"I can't do this anymore."

Looking up from his spot on the couch right beside me, Shadow looks confused.

"What do you mean? You can't do what anymore?"

"Us."

He looks hurt, but more confused than anything else.

"But....I thought we've been a lot better?"

Fidgeting with the hem of my skirt as I look down at the ground, I'm unable to meet his sad eyes.

And he's right; We have been doing better over the past week. But for how long? How long will this peacefulness really last? The feeling of walking on eggshells around him because I don't want to start another argument is so physically and mentally tiring. While I was laying next to him last night, I was kept up thinking about everything that's happened. And I realized that...

I'm not happy anymore.

And it's not fair to either of us to continue being together if I'm not putting in the effort anymore to make us work. Shadow did that to me for months, and I wouldn't wish that feeling on him no matter how poorly he's treated me.

"It has, Shadow. But....I'm not happy anymore. I'm sorry, I can't do this."

Getting up, I turn around and walk towards the front door without looking back.

Slamming the door behind me, I put my back to the wall and slowly slide down it. Shaking uncontrollably, I gasp for air as I clutch my chest.

I finally did it, I defied him. And now...Maybe Shadow will be safe. Maybe he can be happy now.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Dodging one of his chaos spears, Shadow seems to be taking our training a little bit personal today.

"What's your problem Shadow?"

"Nothing."

Shielding my face as one of his forcefields explodes, I can tell that he's having trouble staying in control.

Launching myself at the black hedgehog, I grab him by the shoulders and throw him to the ground. Pinned under my grip, I ask him again.

"Clearly something is wrong and I don't feel like getting knocked unconscious by one of your rage fits again. So what's got your quills in a bunch."

Wriggling underneath me, he growls through his teeth.

"My quills are not in a bunch! Now let go of me!"

Sighing, I get up and offer him my hand. He looks down at the ground before taking it so I can pull him up. Watching his ears droop, I can't help but look at him in shock. Never in a million years would I have thought I would see Shadow the Hedgehog sad.

"...She left me."

"Maria did?"

"Who else? Yes, Maria."

Biting my tongue before a snippy comeback comes out, I don't really know what to say to him. What happened between them is none of my business, nor do I really have any right to get in the middle. Shadow is my coach, and Maria is my friend.

And quite frankly, I don't owe him anything.

...But I do know what he's feeling. And it's not an amazing feeling.

"Fix your ears."

Crimson red eyes meet mine, and I feel shiver run down my spine at the fierceness hiding behind them.

"What did you just say?"

"I said, fix your ears. Moping isn't a good look on you."

And just like that, his temper flares back.

"Why you-"

"Shush. You're the ultimate life form Shadow. Take one day to feel sad, hurt, mad, whatever it is you need to feel. But after that one day, you get right back up and act like it doesn't hurt."

He looks at me, and I can see the hurt in his eyes.

"10 minutes."

10 minutes?

"For what?"

"For me to talk about my...feel...feelings."

He spits the word feelings out like bitter coffee, and I try not to snicker.

"I'll give you 5, starting now."

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

Amelia does just as I asked, and sits there quietly listening to me. Although I'm quite sure I went past her 5 minute timer, she seems to forget all about it after what I just said.

"...She what?"

"Cheated."

Amelia has a genuine look of shock and confusion on her face.

"But...Why? That doesn't sound like her at all."

Thinking about it makes it hurt a lot more than it did before. All I can do is shake my head in response.

"Are you sure?"

"I walked in on them. Yes."

She sighs.

"She told me a lot of things that happened between y'all, but she never mentioned that part."

"Of course she would leave it out, she's obsessed with being perfect in your eyes for some reason. I'm no saint, but she's no angel either."

.
.
.

3 days later at a brunch date with Maria and Amy, Amy's POV:

Ever since Shadow told me about Maria's midnight adventures, it's been bothering the hell out of me.

Watching her sip her tea, I can't imagine her ever choosing someone else over Shadow.

"Hey Maria, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure Amy."

"Did you cheat on Shadow?"

Her next sip of tea catches in her throat as she stares at me in shock.

"Why were you even talking to him? You hate him."

When she immediately becomes defensive and tries to pin the blame on me, it tells me everything I needed to know.

"So you did?"

Maria purses her lips as I notice her hands shaking.

"I-I....A..Amy.."

What in the world is going on?

"What."

Suddenly the shaking and stuttering stops.

"Yes, I cheated on him. I got bored with him."

Standing up from the table, I wave the waiter down and pay for my half of the bill.

"Then I'm not interested in being friends with someone like you."

I turn around and start walking away.

"Amy!! W..Wai- LeaVE! LEAVE THEN!!"

Glancing over my shoulder, I can't help but wonder how Shadow put up her craziness for so long.

Maybe I haven't given him enough credit.