Chapter 25

Authors note: I recommend listening to Me, Myself & I by G-Eazy x Bebe Rexha while reading this chapter
-------------------------------------------------------
Shadow's POV:

Everything spins as the world begins to come into focus.

Sitting up on the mat in a panic, I notice that Amelia is gone.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

my heart thumps in my ears as I sprint through the dark hallways, my footsteps echoing as hundreds of pairs of red eyes open from the darkness.

The calming sense that I've learned to grow familiar with while running is nowhere to be found.

My feet can barely keep up with my legs as I catch myself slipping and struggling to control my footing. My lungs sting as air is rushed in and out, every muscle in my body burns with every step I take as I reach out desperately for the exit.

Bounding and leaping over robots as their metal claws clank shut behind me, I try not to think about their metal appendages snapping shut with me inside of them. Snaking my way through the sea of robots, I think about my freedom.

I'm so close.

Keep going.

Slashing and pounding anything in my way with my hammer, freedom is my only thought.

Keep going.

I desperately swing while everything blurs together, seconds melting to minutes. The anger and sorrow of every moment from my past fuels what little energy I have left. Sonic and Sally, years of torture in the human world, the painfully loud echo of that gun shot as I fled. Remembering every second of my revival. Every injury and every drop of blood I've shed to keep Mobius safe. I have to get out of here. I have to get away from this terrible metal prison.

KEEP GOING! YOU'RE SO CLOSE!!

Crying out in fear, anger, or maybe both, a tingling sensation radiates through my body. I feel a weight lifted off of my shoulders as the humming and buzzing that I've been hearing for a month suddenly stops. The room is silent. No clanking of metal robots, no humming or buzzing. Only the sound of my heartbeat is present.

Chest heaving and heart pounding, I open my eyes to see every robot silent and crumpled to the ground.

I take one, maybe two seconds to stare in disbelief before running like hell towards the exit.

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

Standing in the dark room in front of the large chair, I glance to see Maria standing next to me with her ears flattened in fear. Her head is down, avoiding eye contact with her uncle.

"Explain this to me Shadow."

I don't have but a split second to answer before his anger erupts, his loud voice booming around the cold metal room.

"NOW!!"

Maria flinches as he yells. She's never seen him like this, and if it wasn't for me she never would have had to.

"Something must have gone wrong during her transition, sir. She's developed chaos abilities."

Aggressively flipping a monitor towards me and shoving it in my face, I stare in disbelief at what's being shown. A large burst of chaos energy radiates from Amelia, disabling the bots and leaving them twitching with energy on the ground.

"489 bots, Shadow the Hedgehog. Gone, just like that."

His anger turns to laughter, and Maria glances at me in fear. She's never seen him like this.

His laughter turns to violent hacking and coughing before he opens his mouth again.

"The two of you are going to fix this little hiccup, and you're not coming back until you do. Go after that pink rat, infiltrate Sonic's ranks, and wait until further instructions. Is that clear?"

We both nod.

"Now get out of my sight YOU USELESS RATS!!"

I put my arm around Maria and escort her out, embracing her in the hallway as her eyes well up with tears.

"Everything will be okay Maria, I promise."

It has to be.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Stumbling through the darkness, the moon is absent from the sky and offers little light to help me find my way. I've been wandering for hours, at least I think I've been. I have no idea where I am, or which way home is.

All I know is that the village is North.

Finally spotting some sort of light, I stumble towards it and head for Sonic's hut.