Chapter 27

Authors note: I recommend listening to Running Up That Hill by Meg Myers while reading this chapter. Please let me know in the comments if you enjoy the song recommendations for each chapter so I can continue adding them to future updates. Enjoy!
________________________________

Shadow's POV:

Watching the blinding light flicker through the windows, guilt courses through me.

I never should have snapped at her.

I never should have brought her back.

All of this is my fault.

Maria flinches as one of the glass windows shatters, then looks at me desperately as she yanks on my arm.

"Shadow, you have to help her!"

She's right. Get out of your head.

Motioning for Maria to go stand with Sonic, he opens his arms to her despite everything I've done. She quickly takes refuge and hunkers down next to Sally, and as Sonic looks up he meets my gaze. He nods, and for some reason I know that Maria will be safe with him. That the enemy I fought against for so long is willing to protect the person I love.

I nod back to him before walking towards the house, another window busting as shattered glass peppers the ground.

Opening my arms towards the house, I brace myself, ready for the pain and raw power to start coursing through my veins. I've never absorbed so much chaos energy, and in all honesty I have no idea how much of it I can take.

Doubt rushes through my mind as a familiar tingling sensation tickles my finger tips. Shortly after, pain unlike any other that I've ever felt sears through my body. Chaos energy visibly trickles from the house in rays of light before violently zapping into my body.

Despite my efforts, the light coming through the windows appears no dimmer.

Buckling to the ground, what feels like lava coursing through my veins worsens.

More! You have to take more!

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

I grab ahold of Maria as she tries to break free from my grasps after witnessing Shadow crumple to the ground. Sally quickly grabs her by the hand and begins trying to calm her down. I notice tears start to form in the small hedgehogs eyes as the sound of Shadow yelling in pain erupts through the night. Sally places her hands over Maria's dainty ears and wraps her in a hug in an attempt to block out the sound.

I look at Shadow to see his body visibly shaking, then convulse in pain as each strike of what looks like electricity zaps into his body.

No, not electricity...

Suddenly it clicks, and I find myself running towards Shadow. He squints his eyes as he looks at me, before I grab onto him.

The familiar sensation of the 7 chaos emeralds sends a rush of energy through my body, but that feeling of power quickly turns to pain as another bolt forces its way into Shadow's body.

Soon I'm in the same position as Shadow, brought to my knees by the sheer force of the chaos energy and pain coursing through my body.

I glance at Shadow who isn't faring any better. He's slightly slumped over and looks like he's on the verge of passing out, I don't even know how he's handled this for as long as he did on his own. I've never really understood his connection to chaos energy, all I know is that I don't have it.

But Amy always did. She never had any desire to wield the chaos emeralds, and she even told me no when I asked her to keep one in her house during our adventures. She always had a knack for sensing when they were near by, but I never imagined that she was capable of something like this.

Pain shoots through my head as I grit my teeth. My vision starts to blur, and as it does I feel something grip my arm. Squinting, I see Sally and Maria holding onto us.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

The deafening buzzing worsens, and I cover my head as lightbulbs pop and shatter.

I felt this way when I was running for my life from that terrible robot infested fortress, accept I had something to pin that anger on then. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't know who I could hurt in the process of trying to get to Shadow. And that's not a chance that I'm willing to take.

Slowly, the excruciating ringing starts to become quieter and quieter. Even so, I'm terrified to remove my hands from my ears.

With my eyes still shut, I feel a hand gently squeeze my shoulder.