Chapter 35: Can we talk?

Author's note: Sorry for the hiatus, happy reading .

________________________________

Shadow's POV:

Watching the happy couples walk down the isle, I can't help but feel some sort of resentment towards them. I've never been a hero in the eyes of the world, making the applause and cheers from the crowd sound unfamiliar to me. And although I admit I've grown to somewhat tolerate my new team, it makes me miss my life of seclusion.

But it also makes me miss the feeling of being within someone's arms. And as Sally walks through the curtains, I can see that I'm not the only one who isn't enjoying the event as much as everyone else. Amelia's smile fades once Sally is out of sight, and it pains me to see such a look of distain on her delicate features.

"Rose, are you alright?"

Her eyes stay glued to floor as she responds with a simple "I'm fine."

But if there's anything I learned from dating Maria, it's that when a woman says such a thing- it is in fact, not fine.

"I know better than that, Rose. Is there anything that I can do?"

"Introducing Amy Rose the Hedgehog, hero of Mobius."

Squaring her shoulders, she looks back at me with a cold expression.

"No."

Watching her reach for the curtains, all I can do is stare at her in dismay.

Her words.... hurt.

No, perhaps she's just nervous. I can't think of anything I would have done to off put her in such a way.

Maybe the motorcycle ride did upset her. I should have been more considerate after she spent such a long time getting ready.

....What could I have done wrong?

As I watch the confident sway of her hips walking towards the adoring crowd of Mobians, it brings back the memory of the look of fear in her eyes at the news that she may never walk again. Compared to the wobbly first steps she took weeks ago, she now walks with confidence behind every step. If I didn't know any better, I would have never thought that she sustained such a substantial injury.

We've both come so far since that first night that we met on the Ark, and refuse to throw it all away.

Straitening my tux, the crowd erupts in awe at the sight of her. The long earrings dangling from her petite ears sparkle in the show lights, her beautiful smile outlined in a sultry maroon lipstick. Watching her walk further and further away before the velvet curtains cut her off from view, I continue to think about how to apologize when I'm not quite sure what I did in the first place.

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

"Introducing Shadow the Hedgehog, hero of Mobius and master of chaos magic."

Awkwardly scooting in my chair, I don't have the heart to watch him walk down the red carpet after the way I just treated him. I know I shouldn't be pushing him away, but this is the only way to keep my promise to Maria.

"Now that all of our hero's have been properly introduced, we call upon Sonic the Hedgehog to start the first dance of the night."

Crossing my legs as I begin to get comfortable in my chair, I look up in confusion as the crowd begins gasp and whisper.

Sonic has always chosen Sally for the first dance of the night, but when I look up the tall hedgehog is standing in front of me with his arm extended. I glance at Sally, who doesn't seem bothered, and if anything is most likely relieved to have the spotlight lifted from her after the stunt we pulled with her dress.