Chapter 38: New Beginnings

Amy's POV:

Sinking below the bath water, my ears vibrate to the odd sound of the faucet filling the tub. The water stings my eyes and the sensation of water beginning to fill my ears is discomforting, but being unaware of the world above the water is a bliss... If only the sound of the running water was loud enough to drown out my own thoughts.

Resurfacing as I reach for the bath salts, I freeze when I hear the chime of my door bell sound from downstairs. Staring down at the bath water and my very obviously naked body, I wait for it to stop so I can resume my daily routine of playing music unnecessarily loud while I begin to prune in my scented bath water.

Annoyingly, the ringing not only doesn't stop but becomes even more obnoxious.

Angrily getting out of the cozy bath water and snatching my robe from the door, I stomp down the stairs sopping wet as the ringing continues.

Fumbling with the lock in a fit of rage, I fling the door open to see Sonic smiling one of the guiltiest smiles I've ever seen. And not very far behind him, is Shadow.

"...Nope."

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

Catching the door as she aggressively tries to slam it, I laugh nervously as I see I've not only interrupted her sacred bath time, but I've also brought the hedgehog at the very top of her most wanted list to her doorstep.

"I can explain. Please don't hit me."

.
.
.

"So he did everything for Maria?"

I nod as she stares at Shadow.

"Cool. Now get out of my house."

"Ames I know you're understandably angry but--"

Abruptly shutting my mouth as she cuts her eyes in my direction, Shadow seems unfazed by her glare.

"We're trying to explain something much bigger than our quarrel, Amelia."

Standing to her feet from the couch, her jaw is tightly clenched. "I never said I wasn't listening. I've been a hero long enough to understand how big of a threat Calix is and he will be dealt with by our team. And as far as I'm concerned, you're no longer a part of it."

Pursing his lips, Shadow continues to look at Amy. "When did you grow so cold?"

Freezing, I can feel my fur stand on end as Amy clenches her jaw. The last time I felt this sort of electricity in the air, Amy nearly killed all of us.

"I welcomed you into my life when you were full of so much hate that it was eating you alive. I even offered you friendship, and when it felt like that friendship was morphing into something more I shoved it so far down until I could barely feel anything! Because I knew that this would happen. It always does. And even after being fooled so many times, you think I would have learned by now."

Glancing at Shadow, I can see it in his eyes that he knows she's right. We're all guilty of hurting her, yet we've all had the nerve to wonder why she's not the same loving Amy that she was 5 years ago.

She adapted to make sure she would never be hurt again, and Shadow broke the very little amount of trust that she gave to him.

"Get out of my house."

"Rose just please listen--"

Silently, she walks to her door. Opening it, she motions for him to leave. Her jaw is tightly clenched, the air still dangerously staticky.