Chapter 20: Sacrifices

Warning: Graphic content ahead, you have been warned :)
________________________________
Shadow's POV:

We decided it was best to tell the rest of Sonic's friends about Amy's condition in the morning. Sonic called an emergency team meeting and everyone showed up promptly after the message was sent. We began discussing possible plans, and to no surprise everyone was as hesitant as Sonic to trust Eggman.

"Even if you're successfully able to convince Eggman that you changed sides, why would he help Amy?"
~

I spent over a year trying to figure out exactly that. In his insane state the doctor believed that I simply went undercover to reveal more about Sonic. I explained that I kidnapped Amelia to keep Sonic on his toes, but that she was really no threat in her coma like state. Eggman agreed to fix her, and after nearly a year of doing so he's explained to me that there's nothing he can do. I've wasted over a year of my life doing his dirty work and losing myself in the process, just for him to tell me there's no solution to the problem.

Well...

There is one thing.

But it's the one thing Amelia would never want.

.
.
.

I grimace as the sound of her ribs crunching echoes around the empty operating room. I insisted that we properly sedate her, but the doctor says that she won't be able to feel anything in her unconscious state.

My ears ring as the sound of the saw clicks on, and he begins ripping into her skin.

Suddenly, a blood curdling scream rises above the sound of the mechanical whirring.

"Stop!! Please!!! I can feel everything!!"

Astonishingly, I look down to see desperate emerald eyes welling up with tears as she continues screaming as the saw tears through her abdomen.

"Shadow!! PLEASE!! MAKE IT STOP!!"

Something in my chest twists in agony as her words come out in sobs.

Grabbing the saw from the doctor, I click the power button off. He looks at me confused. Staring down at her mangled naked body, the entire inside of her stomach is exposed. The skin around her chest has been peeled back, and her ribs are sitting in pieces around the inside of her chest cavity. Blood gurgles from her exposed intestines as she sobs. I want so desperately for all of this to be a nightmare, I want to go back to that beautiful snow covered night with her. But instead I'm sitting in an operating room, with the metallic smell of her blood filling the room and her organs sitting in beakers. Instead of being able to make her pain disappear, I'm engaging it. And for the sake of her future, I have to keep up the act.

"Sonic would be very upset if she came back to him in pieces."

"Ohhh c'mon my boy, is the smell of the iodine getting to you?"

"No doctor, but--"

"KILL ME!!! PLEASE JUST KILL ME!!"

It feels like something inside of me breaks as the words leave her mouth.

The doctor leans down and grins, poking her exposed heart as she cries out in agony. I want to cover my ears, to run, as the sound of her sobs and hics echo around the metal room.

"All in good time my dear, but I'm supposed to be fixing you. Don't scream too loud now, or I may not be able to stitch you back together."

For the first time in my life, I notice Amy trembling.

A hero of Mobius, and one of the most strong people I know. When she thought I was in danger she yelled and cussed in the face of danger. She was never scared of anything. I had never heard her cry. And now, here she is, filleted open like a piece of meat for the sake of experimentation.

I can't take it anymore.

As I grab a syringe, she begins panicking as soon as she sees it.

I'm so sorry my rose.

She whimpers and cries as I stick it into her shoulder, but I feel some sort of relief as her eyes slowly shut. At least this way, she won't have to feel anything anymore.

"Pity, I was enjoying the sound of her screams."

I bite my tongue, using every bit of restraint I have as to not rip the sick bastards heart out right here.

I can't help but think to myself: You need him, Shadow. Don't do anything rash.

"How exactly are you going to put her back together?"

He shrugs, and examines the bloody operating table and smudges of red shoe sized patterns on the floor. All his footprints, as I haven't had the stomach to step in puddles of her blood.

"Good question, I'll figure it out."

He notices the look on my face, and begins belly laughing.

"I'm joking, I'm joking my boy! I'll just give her a new body."

I glance at Amelia's beautiful long pink hair, caked to her body with dry crusted blood.

"A new body?"

"Mhm. Mobian's are extremely resilient, but you were designed especially to be a conductor for chaos energy. The poor girl has been overloaded with it, so there's no chance of reclaiming her body now. The only reason she woke up is simply because her pain receptors were on overload, to my scientific deduction I was correct on assuming it would wake her from her coma."

"You're going to...do to her what you did to Maria?"

"In a way, yes."

I know deep down that she would never want that. She herself said that death should be permanent.

I'm playing with something I shouldn't be, and I'm painfully aware of it. I dismissed my guilt about Maria being brought back because I was never a part of the decision... But Amelia's life is in my hands.

It may be selfish of me, but I don't want that beautiful light to go out.

"Be a doll and go prepare the dinner table, and tell Maria that dinner should be ready shortly. I made her favorite."

.
.
.

I wince at the memory.

"Are you okay, Shadow?"

I take comfort in staring into her big baby blue eyes.

"Yes, sorry. Just thinking."

"About what?"

I smile, and stand up to tuck her into the colorful floral blanket. Walking to the door, I flip the light off.

"Nothing you need to worry about. Goodnight, Maria."