Chapter 40: Ghosts of the Past

Warning: this chapter contains depictions of PTSD and mentions of sexual abuse. You have been warned.

Authors note: I'm sorry this chapter took such a long time to be published. It's been re-written so many times because it just didn't feel right, so thank you for the patience. On a different note, this series is beginning to near the finish line. p
Please consider commenting on which series you would enjoy reading next. Suggestions are also welcome :)

Winx Club spinoff

How to Train your Dragon spinoff

My Little Pony Spinoff

Apocalyptic genre, with romance of course

School for magical beings

Another Sonic and Friends fanfic

Avatar (blue people) spin off

I am also currently writing a story involving greek mythology, check it out if that's something that interests you. To everyone who's continued to read this far, thank you for your support. :)

Happy reading!
__________________________________

Amy's POV:

Watching Sally sprint past me towards the water, I can't help but grin to myself as I shimmy out of my sun dress knowing that Shadow is watching.

Feeling the refreshingly cool sensation splash around my ankles, I flop into the water next to Cream. Laughing as I soak her, I cover my face as she aims to splash me back.

"Watch out!!"

Confused as I look to where Cream is pointing, I realize I'm too late to see that Shadow has chaos controlled some ten feet above the water. Shrieking as we all try to waddle away, we're completely shrouded by the splash before the wave that he created knocks all of us over.

Bobbing back up above the water, I feel a strong pair of hands grip my waist. Looking up, he's grinning ear to ear as he lifts me above the water. Shocked by his care free behavior, Shadow is the last one I expected to be having fun on this trip. It's infectious, and I can't help but join in on what he started as I try to splash him. His deep, heavy sounding laugh is such a foreign sound to me, but one that I wish I could hear more often.

Despite all of the scenarios lingering in the back of my mind, the happiness that I feel in this moment outweighs all of the doubts.

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

Glancing down at my watch, my alarm goes off to let Sally know that it's time to re-apply her sunscreen. As I'm about to wave her down, I can't help but catch Tails eying me before I do.

"Is it so hard for her to realize that it's time to put more sunscreen on? She'll find out later when she's got first degree burns."

Staring at my lifelong friend, the utter amount of shock that I feel is overwhelming.

Both shock, and pity.

"It only takes a few seconds to set an alarm, and maybe a minute to call her in to the shore. Then even less than a minute to apply sun screen for her. Could she do it herself? Sure. But it shows her that I care. And I'd rather spend a few minutes reminding her than have her be in pain later because I couldn't care enough to."

Staring at him for a second, I add "you're my best bud, Tails. But I never thought you'd treat Cream the way that you do. Didn't she almost break up you at the ball and you begged her to give you a second chance?"

Rolling his eyes as he adjusts our umbrella, he says "you're the last one to talk Sonic".

"Yeah, accept I'm trying. I know I'm not perfect but at least I own up to my mistakes. The only time you're ever sorry is when she's about to leave you. You're so sweet to everyone except for her, if I would have known you'd be treating her like this I never would have advocated for you."