Chapter 29: Control

Authors note: I recommend listening to Hurts So Good by Astrid S, happy reading !

________________________________

Amy's POV:

Slowly, I open my eyes. A distant ringing is still screaming in my ears as I hesitantly look over my shoulder to see none other than Sally. She looks exhausted.

Hearing light footsteps as the door creaks open, I look to see Sonic leaning weakly against the wall.

Looking from him to his disaster of a home, I feel terrible.

.
.
.

Sally's POV:

I watch as Amy looks around at the terrible state of Sonic's hut. And as she does, her small ears begin to droop.

"....What happened?"

Glancing at Sonic, he slowly makes his way over to Amy. I don't think I've ever seen him like this. Beaten and bruised, definitely. But that blue hedgehog has never dragged his feet before, and he's certainly never been exhausted. At least not to my knowledge.

"It's okay Ames, I'll explain on the way."

She looks confused, with what appears to almost be a look of fear.

"On the way to where?"

Sonic glances at me before we both offer our hands to Amy. Hesitantly, she tightly grabs onto us as we help lift her to her feet.

"We're going to see Tails."

The next morning at Tails' workshop, Amy's POV:

I knew that I was responsible for trashing Sonic's house, but as for the exhausted state that they were in I have no idea. I had wanted so badly to believe that I had de-escalated my melt down, but it was actually Sonic, Sally, Maria, and...Shadow.

Looking down at the new shiny gold rings around my wrists, everyone seems to release a sigh of relief.

I had expected mixed reactions from everyone, but all I see are expressions of pity. Looking back down at the ground, Tails places his hand on my wrist.

"These inhibitor rings were made especially for you Amy. Do you like the engravings on them?"

I had been so focused on the feeling of them being restraints that I hadn't even noticed the dainty details carved into the makeshift bracelets. How Tails had the time to make functioning inhibiters and decorate them in the span of a few hours, I'll never know.

But despite the kind gesture, I can't bring myself to smile.

"I love them. Thank you."

I can't bring myself to look at them either. I don't need their pity or concern.

"They'll keep you and everyone else safe while I train you."

I look up, meeting a crimson red gaze.

"I don't need your help. And I certainly don't want it."

His fur prickles in annoyance, then immediately flattens as Maria places her hand on his shoulder.

I'll admit that I pegged her wrong. Despite the way I spoke to her she still left everything behind to come with Shadow, and even helped keep my powers under control.

"I'm the entire reason we're all standing here right now. No one else can handle your chaos energy."

I hold his gaze. Despite his hostile glare, I have no reason to be afraid of him.

"What do you want Shadow, a reward? Recognition? You're the entire reason I'm in this mess. I didn't get a choice, remember?"

For a split second, just a split second, I see a look of guilt and hurt cross his eyes. It's gone as fast as it came, and turns into a scowl before he turns around and walks out the door.

I usually feel some sort of remorse after snapping at him, or anyone for that matter. But to my surprise I don't feel anything. The look of concern on my friends faces however hurts more than anything Shadow could have ever said to me.

"Give him a chance Ames. You're here, safe, and that's all that matters now."

Sonic stands in front of me and lifts my chin to look him in the eyes. Glancing at all of my friends, they gather around Sonic and each place one of their hands on me. Looking from them to Sonic, that fire in his eyes is relit. Gone is the tiredness from before, replaced by that look of fierceness and triumph that I fought beside for so many years.

"The next time the robots attack, we'll be ready. It's time to take down Eggman for good this time."

Looking from his cocky grin to everyone else's smiles, I can't help but feel a tiny bit hopeful.

2 months later, Shadow's POV:

I grit my teeth as I'm slung across the clearing, the gritty sand grinding into the open wound on my leg. Barely having enough time to get up, I'm slammed back down to the ground.

Coughing and hacking, I squint through the dust to see Amelia smiling smugly over me.

"That's 3-0, stripes."

Grunting as I catch my breath, I get to my feet.

"Shut it pinky. You caught me on an off day."

"For the past week? Whatever you say."

Watching the pink hedgehog walk over to the bench for a water break, I don't give her the satisfaction of watching me dust myself off. As much as I hate to admit it, she's advanced a lot faster than I expected her to.

She's learned how to control teleporting multiple hammers at a time, along with teleporting herself as well. However the rate at which she teleports is exceptional considering she doesn't need a chaos emerald to do so. She's even learning how to pull the chaos energy out of her body and direct it as she pleases. That one is a work in progress considering I'm not willing to get zapped by chaos energy over and over again.

"Are you okay honey? She's really whooping your butt today."

I roll my eyes, but gladly take the water bottle from her hand.

"You two have been hanging out too much. I feel like I'm being ganged up on."

She laughs as she pats my shoulder.

"I guess we have become rather good friends. Her sweets are also amazing, so that's an added perk."

Taking the rest of the water I didn't drink, I rinse the sand from the cut on my leg.

"You mean the chocolate cake that I don't get anymore because she only makes it for you now? How could I forget."

Maria laughs at my sarcastic comment before wrapping her arms around me in a hug.

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Amelia rolling her eyes. Despite her recent closeness with Maria she's still giving me the cold shoulder outside of training. She'll tolerate my presence, but she makes it well known that she's not fond of me.

Just as Maria pulls away from our hug, we all get a notification on our communicators that a robot was spotted on the edge of town.

Looking to Amelia after reading the message, she has somewhat of a grin on her face.

"Ready to take those new powers for a spin?"