Chapter 14: Long Time No See

Sonic's POV:

Egghead is showing signs of getting ready to send more robots, so I call a group meeting. We at least had a few days off to rest, thank Mobius. Before the strategizing started I apologized to Amy for my behavior at the party. She said it was fine, and we moved on with the meeting.

"So we're switching up the teams because Egghead's robots are getting too familiar with our attacking pattern. Tails you're with Rouge, Knuckles you're with Shadow, and Ames you're with m--"

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late."

No! She wasn't supposed to show up like this!

I glance at Amy, who looks paler than she was a few seconds ago. "Hey Sal....What are doing back so soon?"

She raises her eyebrow. "Sonic I was supposed to be back 2 weeks ago. Did you get any of my communicator messages?"

Glancing down at the device around my wrist, I notice the 5 messages that I've been neglecting to read.

"Uhhh..."

She crosses her arms. "Stupid hedgehog."

Moving her attention to Tails, she flicks me as she walks by. "Sorry I wasn't here to celebrate, here's your birthday present Tails."

He quickly tears it open, excited to see a rare gem from The Kingdom of Acorn. "Wow! Thanks Sally!!"

She smiles, and walks around greeting everyone else and handing them their Christmas gifts.

She stops when she gets to Amy, and nervously holds out her gift. "Uhh...Hey Amy..."

Everyone watches as Amy doesn't say a word, and the look of hatred in her eyes causes Sally to back away. A look that I never thought I would see on such a sweet face.

Without a word Amy brushes past her and walks out the door, slamming it behind her.

                                         ~

After assigning everyone to their posts, I pull Sally into the kitchen. "What the hell Sal?! I told you to let me know before you came back to town!"

She points to my communicator. "I tried you blue bimbo!"

I flatten my ears at her, rubbing my temple.

As she crosses her arms, she adds "Sonic you can't expect her to just be okay with seeing all of us again. Especially you and me. Not everyone moves as fast as you do."

"I know! But she was finally starting to trust me again!"

Sighing, she slides her rings onto her wrists. I never could figure out how those magical bracelets turn into swords. "The only way for her to forgive either of us is on her own Sonic. You can't rush it, and you can't force it either. I know this is a difficult concept for you but you need to just slow down and have patience."

"I'm the fastest thing alive! How am I supposed to slow down?!"

I look down and notice my foot rapidly tapping.

Maybe I do have a problem.

"Fine, Sally. I'll try."

Suddenly, Tails' voice comes from my communicator. "Sonic!! Eggman is attacking, Amy is at her post in the village, hurry!"

I nod to Sally, and we both rush off to help. I tell her she should join Knuckles and Shadow, who will most likely be in the East side of the forest by the bank.

Zipping along the path to town, I stop when I see Amy angrily bashing in robots. I'm about to step in to help, until I notice multiple hammers flying around the clearing then coming back to her like a boomerang. I quickly duck before one has the chance to take my head off.

Shit, since when could she do that? Multiple hammers?!

I escort the villagers to safety, watching as she takes her anger out on the robots.

I get worried as she's slammed to the ground, but she quickly gets up and sends the robot flying across the village. I'm stunned as she cartwheels and flips to avoid the large robots, all while commanding her hammers and shouting at villagers to get to safety. In a matter of minutes, she's taken out all of his robots. I only got to spin dash two before she sent them back to their maker in a heap of metal scraps.

I've never seen her do anything like that. Did she train with someone while she was away? She had to of if she's this experienced now.

....What exactly happened while she was gone?

Her hammers disappear, and she's left standing in the middle of all the dust they stirred up with her chest heaving. I try to remember what Sally told me as I carefully approach her.

"You okay Amy?"

I notice her slowly clench her fist, then release it.

"Yeah."

With that, she turns around and leaves me standing in the clearing alone.