Chapter 30: Experience

Sonic's POV:

We all sit down tiredly after the long fight. Cream was nice enough to bring all of us water after her mom told her about the robot attack.

Gulping down a bottle of water, my eyes can't help but drift to where Amy's sitting.

She took on the brunt of the robots, yet she's sitting quietly on a rock wrapping a scrape on her arm. No sign of fatigue whatsoever. As for her performance during the battle, I'm still trying to accept the harsh reality that I don't need to protect her anymore.

She almost looked like she was having fun pounding and smashing Eggman's robots to bits with her new abilities.

Which is honestly what I'm worried about.

Standing up, I make my way over to Amy.

"Hey Ames, you need help wrapping up that scrape on your leg?"

She raises an eyebrow before looking down at her leg.

"Oh. I didn't even feel it, sure."

She didn't feel it?

Kneeling down beside her, she hands me the wrap and offers somewhat of a smile. I'm just glad she can tolerate being around me now.

"Sooo Ames, me and the others have been talking about a plan to infiltrate Eggman's base and....We uh, we think you should stay here.."

I was expecting some sort of outburst of protest, but I guess I'm still holding on too tightly to my old image of Amy. Loud and obnoxious with the ability to brighten up any room with that smile of hers.

"Can I ask why? If anything I have the most right to be there."

Tying her bandage in bow, or at least to the best of my abilities, I look up at her emerald green eyes.

"Because I'm worried about you Ames."

If only for an instant, her icy gaze from before melts away into affection.

"We're not little kids anymore Sonic, you know that the past is behind us and you mean the world to me.... But you don't need to protect me anymore."

As she places her hand over mine, butterflies start to flutter in my stomach.

"I know... That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried that after everything he's done to you, you'll want to return the favor."

For the first time in a long time, I notice Amy finally start to show some sort of emotion.

Her tiny ears droop down as she stares at the floor. It reminds me of when she used to pout when I would run from her, except this time it's genuine sadness. And I can't stand the sight of it.

Standing up in front of her, I gently cup her ears in my hands and brush them back into their usual perky position. When her large doe eyes look up at me, I feel flustered and quickly look away.

"If I did want revenge.... Does it make me a bad person?"

I hesitate. As a hero, the answer is obvious. But as a friend who's just watched her go through something traumatic...I know my answer.

"I think....That you have to decide that for yourself."

She sighs before standing up. I want so desperately for her to get the justice she deserves, and I know the human justice system won't be able to give it to her.

Honestly...What would I do if I was in her shoes?

.
.
.

Shadow's POV: