Chapter 23: Repracussions

Warning: thoughts/mentions of suicide are present in this chapter, as well as emotional trauma. You have been warned :)
-------------------------------------------------------
Authors Note: The events in this chapter are hypothetical, and didn't actually happen in any movies or series. It's strictly from my little mind, so enjoy the chapter!
-------------------------------------------------------

Shadow's POV:

I wait patiently for Maria to finish in the bathroom with Rose, excited to see how she's feeling with her new chance at life.

However, Maria is the only one who emerges when the door squeaks open.

She looks sad, with a puzzled look on her face.

"My love, what's wrong?"

She walks into my open arms, gladly embracing my hug. When she leans back, her beautiful blue doe-like eyes make my heart throb with sympathy for whatever's upset her.

"Shadow.... Is uncle a monster?"

The question takes me by surprise. And although I hate to admit it to her, it's not a question I know how to answer. At least, not without lying.

"Why would you ask that?"

Her ears flatten, once again making my heart ache with the desperate feeling of wanting to make her happy smile appear once more.

"It's....Amy. She said that he's a monster. I've been gone for awhile Shadow, and I want to know if it's just his mental state that has deteriorated. Is he... Hurting people?"

Why would she say that to Maria?

He is undoubtably a monster in every Mobian's eyes... But he's also considered family to Maria.

"She said that he....murdered children. That can't be true... right?"

Caressing her cheek in my hand, I smile at the beautiful pink tint claiming the rounded parts of her delicate face.

"No, Maria. You are correct to assume that accusation is false."

Her ears perk back up happily as she tightly wraps her arms around my neck. I smile as she pulls away before kissing me on the cheek.

"I'm going to prepare dinner, does spaghetti sound okay?"

All Maria knows how to make is spaghetti, seeing as she passed as a young child. Even if she were to make it every night, I would never tire of the dish.

"It sounds amazing love."

As she happily bounds away towards the kitchen, I turn my attention towards the cracked bathroom door.

The room is steamy, with a layer of fog coating the bathroom mirror. From what I can see, Amelia is still sitting in a robe exactly where Maria left her.

"You had no right to blatantly talk to Maria that way."

"And you had no right to lie to her face."

I'm taken aback by the statement. Yes, I may have lied to her, but it was to protect her from the truth.

"I have my reasons. As for you, this is your second chance at life. Why are choosing to spend the first moments of it making enemies?"

"I never asked for a second chance Shadow!!"

Flinching as her voice echoes around the bathroom, I take a step back as stands up. Her lips are drawn back in a snarl, with her ears flattened to her head in anger.

My mind flashes back to that exact expression when she felt that I was in danger. Without hesitation, she had barred her teeth for me.

Except this time, that anger is directed towards me.