Chapter 8: Some Getting Used to

Amy's POV:

After spending a week readjusting to the team life, I realized how much I missed being with my friends and fighting robots. It had definitely taken some getting used to seeing Sonic again. That, and Shadow being a new addition to the team. I get pared with him a lot because the others complain that he's rude and hard to get along with, but I don't mind. Sometimes Rouge, Cream, or Blaze will come over on my days off to hang out. They even helped me decorate my house, which is now covered in lovely colored furniture and of course a nice shade of blush here and there. I learned that Rouge and Knuckles have been dating for 6 months, and that Tails and Cream have been dating for two. I'm really happy for them.

With my favorite holiday right around the corner, I'm doing some last minute shopping to get Christmas gifts for everyone. We never had such holidays in Mobius, but after spending some time with the humans while growing up we've incorporated some of their traditions.

I've always enjoyed getting gifts for everyone, a little appreciation to show how great of friends they are. The only people I have left on my list are Sonic and Rouge. Rouge loves anything shiny, but I've been having trouble finding something up to her standards. And well, Sonic's only true love is chilly dogs.

As a jewelry store catches my eye, I walk in and start looking around. Immediately I see an amethyst crystal set. The earrings have two beautiful gems placed in the center with silver accents, and the necklace is absolutely stunning. With one large gem in the middle, it's surrounded by 20 to 30 smaller amethyst crystals.

Rouge is going to faint when she sees this.

Glancing at the price, I'm relieved to be a well known hero of Mobius. I could never afford this on my own, but the people of this village have been kind enough to gift us in other ways than money. One of them being free rage at their stores.

As the shop owner carefully wraps the jewelry set and places it in a bag, I leave a $200 bill on the counter for her.

"Oh no sweetie, you're a hero. It's on the house."

I smile to the kind lady. It's no where near the original amount, but it's at least something. I would feel guilty not giving her anything for such an expensive set of jewelry. "Have a great Christmas."

Now, on to the tough part.

I have no idea what Sonic could possibly want. New shoes maybe? No, he already has too many pairs. Maybe he would want a scarf.

I made him one five years in a row, he probably threw them all away anyways.

Remembering back to a few days ago when he was complaining to Tails about how cold his ears were while running around on patrol, it gives me an idea.

.
.
.

Christmas Eve, Shadow's POV:

Watching everyone shiver as they enter Amy's house, I will admit that the air has a rather harsh bite to it tonight.

The pink hedgehog walks out with platters of hot chocolate and marshmallows for everyone, dressed in a rather comfy looking sweater and leggings.

I've been rather spoiled with her confectionary treats since she moved back to the village. Despite knowing that, I take the mug of hot chocolate to sip on anyway.

Looking at everyone lounging around the fireplace and living room talking amongst themselves, I realize how strange it is to not be alone during the holidays. I really only ever celebrated such human traditions with Maria.

Maria...

She would have loved this.

.
.
.