Chapter 37: Missed Opportunties, Part II

Sonic's POV:

Hesitantly opening the door after catching a glimpse of black fur through the peep hole, I notice he's wearing the scarf that Amy made him for Christmas. His breath is billowing in the light of my front porch, his hands shoved uncomfortably into his pockets as he looks at me.

"May I come in?"

Staring in disbelief, I can't help but think he must be desperate to come to me of all hedgehogs. But in all honesty, I've been restless over the matter since the ball. Shadow has never been one of many emotions, but based off of the way I've seen him look at Amy it makes me question why he would do anything to jeopardize that.

I may not like Shadow, but I want Amy to be happy. If anyone deserves what everyone's denied her, it's Ames.

Shivering as I imagine Amy bashing my head in with her new and improved hammer, I usher Shadow inside before I have the chance the change my mind.

"Amy will kill me if she sees us together. What are you doing here anyways? It's the middle of the night."

Glancing over to the kindling wood in my fire place, he adds "it seems you were awake anyways."

Rolling my eyes, I wait for him to continue.

"I understand how terribly everything went at the ball, but I wouldn't be here if I was planning your demise with Calix."

Sighing, I motion for him to sit down. Quite frankly I've never trusted Shadow, and only agreed to work with him to begin with because he had information about Eggman that no one else did. But with the doctor dead and an even bigger threat before us, I can't risk letting the enemy develop an upper hand.

"You've worked against us before, so I can't say that I'm surprised by Calix's accusations. But if you were here to kill me we'd already be fighting, so what do you want."

Begrudgingly, he uncrosses his arms before looking down at the ground. "I'd like to explain myself, if you'll hear it."

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

Over the next hour, I explain to Sonic everything that's led up to this point.

"So you're telling me you did all of this... Because of Maria?"

"Not because of Maria, I did it for Maria."

Still trying to absorb all of the information I just dumped on him, his ears twitch as he looks into the fire.

Maria was terminally ill from all of the mashed together organs that's weren't biologically hers. And even being the mastermind that he was, Robotnik was playing life by trying to rebuild Maria's entire existence from scratch. Not once did I ever tell her she was sick, and neither did Robotnik. Instead, he began constructing Calix as a fail safe for Maria.

Only after Maria was reconstructed was the doctor able to get his hands on fragments of her DNA after the government convered up her murder. In an effort to save her decaying body, he created a whole other organism to develop the things that she was rapidly losing. Bone marrow, platelets, red blood cells, even organs. She desperately needed all of it.

But Maria was losing her life force faster than Robotnik could create it. What I thought at the time was genuine love for his niece, turned out to be lust to destroy Sonic. In an effort to keep his marionette alive, he began tampering with fragments of the only chaos emerald that he had left.

For countless nights I argued with his broken mind in an attempt to make him realize that the energy he was toying with could kill us all, and it did nearly that.

Releasing a pulse wave that hospitalized me and almost killed the doctor himself, the energy that was released became infused with the other mad experiments that he was creating in his lab. The energy wasn't natural, and after weeks in a coma I woke up to the doctor begging me to harness the energy that he had created. I refused, and later learned that I have little to no control over what he created anyways.

Before I had even regained my energy back, Robotnik was ecstatic to find that in a way, his experiment had worked. The pulse wave emitted from the chaos emerald fragments had infused his experimental life form, jumpstarting the creation of platelets and bone marrow that Maria so desperately needed.

And as we later found out, it gave that experimental life form a mind of its own.

Calix began to retaliate while nearly every substance was being taken from his body, and in return Robotnik tried to control him in hopes of making another slave to fight against Sonic.

His research into Calix drove him further down his maddened path, all the while trying to bring Amelia back to life.

By some miracle she had survived the pulse wave, and Robotnik went on to name the substance he had created Sol Energy.

It puzzled the doctors maddened mind that a broken half dead girl and an underdeveloped life form survived something that almost permanently snuffed out the chaos energy at my core. And when I found Robotnik hovering over Amelia ready to experiment on her, I nearly killed him.

I'm not a religious being, but I prayed to any god that would listen for Amelia to not be affected by the blast of Sol Energy. But despite my hopes, my prayers were not answered.

Calix often talked to me while I was mixing the tonic to put Maria to sleep for her procedures, a tonic slipped into her evening tea that she was unaware of. And in some form of pity from being an experiment myself, I listened to him. Calix never once begged, but often fantasized about living outside of his test tube. He created a philosophy about a world where there were no longer the sick, and creating life forms such as himself would be an impossibility. I explained to his undeveloped brain that such a thing would require mass extinction and was simply not possible, and I mistook his silence on the matter for an understanding that extinction was not viable.

Robotnik continued taking vital parts of Calix to the point where it nearly killed him, and I broke out into an argument with Robotnik. Experimental life form or not, what he was doing was inhumane.

A few days before Amelia broke free from the facility, I promised Calix that he would not suffer as he has been for the past few months, and tampered with Robotnik's mind control device.

Calix repaid me by letting Maria die and shattering Amelia's spine into thousands of pieces once he was free.

I had noticed discrepancies in Maria's memory and behavior long before I learned she was being controlled, but I simply wrote it off as human being re-created into a whole other terminal being. My foolishness led to her sacrifice, and I will never forgive myself for that. I never had the option to say goodbye to Maria, and I was never able to apologize for not realizing she was suffering sooner rather than later.

And as selfish as it is, I full heart-idly blame Calix for everything that has gone wrong.