15

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I haven't made a resolution yet, (don't worry finishing this book is one of em) hopefully ya'll already have ur goals set < 3

P.S. Hanako's past is my own interpretation based on manga hints! Pls don't expect it to be accurate X,(

~

(Edited as of Wed, Aug 3, 2022)

I changed it to match with the updated happenings of Chapter 8! Anyway, please enjoy!

~
The knife phased through Y/N's head, planting solidly into the kakujoudai within her brain. The experience was excruciating, but satisfying; she twisted the blade until the thrashing kakujoudai was forced out her ear, freeing her from the pain at last.

She pulled out the knife, relief and triumph spreading over her. She grabbed the panicked kakujoudai by the tail, trapping it in a clenched fist.

'It's not over yet.'

She looked down at her reflection in the pond - the old Y/N's H/C hair was now cut short, her placid expression turned to a smile.

"Well done."  Shijima's voice reverberated around her. The black void was filling in with light, the pool disappearing. Y/N slowly stood up as the Wonder returned her to the real world.

'Thank you.'  Y/N thought, hoping her words could reach the girl.

°°°

When Y/N left the Picture World, the real Kamome High was already closed. The sky was dark; when she checked the clock tower far ahead, it was 4 am.  She walked through the playground's moonbathed gardens, feeling peaceful. Yashiro and Kou were probably home, Mitsuba and the Sakura Wonders would be haunting, and Tsukasa...

She looked down at the kakujoudai, twitching helplessly. She grinned; it would send the message she recorded.

She opened her hand. With a loud WOOSH! the kakujoudai fled into the night.

Just to make sure it left for good, she tailed after it.  Her heart soared as the memories - her old school life, Hanako helping her, their fateful moment under the Tree - all of it, flooded back to her, strong and clear. She held back joyous tears as she ran, her head light and free from doubts. She knew who she was now.

'I need to tell Hanako.' She jarred to a stop. Scanning Kamome's garden, she made one last check to make sure the place was rat-free. When she heard no kakujoudai, she backtracked and ran towards the school buildings.

°°°

All the Wonders knew to leave Honorable No. 7 alone.

He was giving away Y/N to a life and death situation. He had failed to stop his danger of a brother. No sign of Mitsuba in the past few days and the rest of his friends growing even more restless.

Even the Mokke didn't know what to say. Earlier that day, they had left the bathroom in a depressed kanga line, unable to say the Wonder's greatest fear.

'We're back to square one.'

Hanako was left to haunt his abode alone, another day feeling lost and hollow. It was like the first day he had lost her; the shock of the event pulling at him like a deadweight, keeping him in a half-awake, half-asleep trance.

Suddenly, he heard a sound. Someone knocking thrice on the bathroom door's entrance.

"Hey! Are you in there?" A muffled voice called.

'Not now.' He hid his face in his hat. 'I think my mood will affect my wish-granting.'

"Hanako-kun!" The voice grew clearer, the knocks rapping faster.