12

"No, no, Y/N. I can handle this myself." Mitsuba cleared his throat, stepping in front of a stunned Aka Manto. He crossed his arms and put on a brave face, trying to look intimidating. If there was a time to show he was a worthy assistant, it was now.

"If you wanna' electrocute her, you have to go through me!"

Yashiro happily obliged, walking forward and phasing through Mitsuba.

The pink-haired ghost stood wide-eyed, dumbfounded. He reached out a hand to swat the fat-ankled girl away, but it went through. He let out a choking sound of horror as she walked up to Y/N, who was slowly backing away with knife still in hand (Mitsuba reminded himself that he had to tell her the knife couldn't touch Yashiro. She was holding it like her life depended on it.)

"Don't." Kou, the blonde who had saved them earlier, put a hand on his shoulder. "You're a ghost, so you can't touch her."

"Then how can you  touch me?" Mitsuba indignantly moved out of his grip. He felt uncomfortable by the sad stare he kept giving him.

"Let's just say," he lent out a hand in a friendly manner.

"I'm Kou Minamoto, a training exorcist of the Minamoto Clan."

"EXORCIST!" Mitsuba gave a repulsive gasp, looking at Kou as if he were the most putrid thing in the universe. "You evildoers banish us! We don't even do anything wrong!"

"I'm not here to banish you." Kou sighed, losing his patience.

"You wretched, lame-"

"If you keep that up, I'll change my mind." He scowled, holding the staff to his chest and earning a terrified squeak from Mitsuba.

In the meantime, Y/N wasn't faring well with her own newcomer either. The mask, which made her look intimidating and emotionless, obscured her frown of uncertainty. Like her face, she hid the fact that the moment she saw this girl, she knew she could trust her.

"Y/N! It's me, Yashiro!" The silver-haired girl pleaded, red eyes shimmering with hope. "I'm your best friend!"

She tilted her head, strands of H/C hair falling on her white mask. Yashiro shuffled back a little. She certainly knew how to make herself look creepy.

"'Best friend?"" Y/N hissed, red coat trailing on the cave floor and collecting dust. Her movement was slow and stealthy as she slowly circled Yashiro, who stood perfectly still. She tried to rid her look of disappointment with fear; Hanako was right. Y/N had drastically changed.

"Are you a part of my hidden past?" Y/N asked, taking Yashiro off guard. She lifted her face, then realized how close Y/N's was to hers. Her ears burned; the mask was the only thing that kept them from touching. Her head was tilted again, as if she were inspecting her.

"Have you and your friend come to help me?"

Yashiro sought any sign for Y/N warming up to her, but by the way her shoulders were still tense, expectant, and steely, she knew there was no hope. Old Y/N wasn't coming back. She swallowed a lump in her throat; maybe next time, she could build their bond again.

"I-I'm with Hanako!" She stammered confidently, which she hope would cover for her shaky legs.

"Hanako." Y/N repeated, eyes growing wide behind the mask. She turned around, and her eyes grew wider when she saw how Mitsuba had tackled Kou to the ground.

"Mitsuba!" She exclaimed, rushing towards her assistant.

"Call me a weakling again-" Mitsuba scathingly seethed.

"Weakling." Kou grinned brightly. Y/N tensed when she saw his hands curl tightly around his staff, but no electric bolts shot out. It was only to contain his laughter. To her surprise, he didn't look like he had any intention of fighting back; suspiciously, he looked like he was enjoying it.