Rough patch

"I wanted to be there I just couldn't"~ Devanté

She looked at him and he looked at her, where she once felt the love she felt nothing. There was a time he could tell her anything and she would instantly forgive him and her hardened heart would soften at the mention of her name flying out of his mouth. His words were like a sweet honeycomb that soothed her doubts and anxiety-ridden mind.

Of course, it didn't help that he had those sweet ethereal green honey-coated eyes. Long lashes that were out of this world. Maybe he could sell Maybelline? She thought. And last but not least those traceable lips. "y/n I wanted to be there but I just couldn't" he told her, grabbing his steering wheel. y/n kept looking at his eyes when he would talk. Devanté was a very honest person. So honest that it could rub people the wrong way. So looking for any signs of deceit seemed trivial. "I understand," she said quietly. Surprised at her response, his head snapped her way one more time.

His eyebrows arched very high in confusion. Why wasn't she yelling? Why wasn't she screaming about the fact how much she wanted him there. "Is everything okay?" he asked. She chuckled a little as a tear slipped out. "I'm fine, great actually." for once she could actually be okay.
"De, if you say that you couldn't then that's all I needed to hear. Although I've always made it a point to show up to your events and support you no matter what was going on. My folks say if there's a will there's a way." he sighed at her response.

"Really, you have to go there? I was busy and I had things going on. I'm the president of the music club, I am in the student union. Not only that but I run track and help with the music at my church. Not to mention but I am a full-time student I cannot be everywhere at once." this was all true. He had a lot on his plate this semester. But so did she. "Again I understand, but not once did you see me coming up with that. I had 18 credits to complete Devanté, a job, I'm secretary and treasurer in your little club. I am in the history club. I had a whole internship this semester. God help me but I was a whole music minister in my Daddy's church and I had to look after my siblings while they were gone like I am a second parent. Did it not occur to you that maybe just maybe I care enough to bend the rules." he sat dumbfounded and in silence. But his silence was replaced with irritability.

"Hold up hold up, you are not going to guilt trip me into thinking I was just using you. If you could not do it then you should have said it." point blank period he thought. This cut her to the heart. For y/n had a hard time saying no. "the problem with me was I had a will." she lastly said clicking the lock button on the passenger side to get out.  Part of her left the car because she wanted him to see how serious she was about this situation. The remainder, she was hoping he would chase her. She wanted to be wanted the way that she wanted him.  His face softened when he saw that he really hurted her. He was a good man. It's just sometimes he felt like she was too good for him. But on the contrary You could not tell y/n anything about this man. He was her lover, bestfriend, tutor and prom date rolled in one. Except he couldn't be much of a best friend these days. There was so much that pulled them apart. She was with him but her heart would be confused and he was present but his mind was always elsewhere. As she made her way out of the car he rolled down the window to watch her get back to her dorm safely. Even in a disagreement they still cared about each other. "y/n?" he called out. She looked back one last time. "Yes?" she answered.

"I love you." in her mind it was a random time for him to say that. Did he mean it though? She didn't know why she doubted him because he did not go around saying sentimental things. He was a person that showed love and took action.

" I love you too, De." her lips quivered and she tried to hide it. She finally got inside of her room, dropping her keys on the desk near the lamp. It wasn't a lie she truly did love him but rose colored glasses were gone. She hoped they would get through this. The last thing she wanted to do was break off the one thing that made her happy. This was a bump in the road but any other time her face would light up at the thought of him.
Where would they go from this? Y/n was all for facing challenges but this one seemed far beyond what she was capable of handling.
__________________________________

Authors note: hey guys I know I've been MIA but reading everyone's fan fictions and being in the Christmas spirit has got me being inspired to write. Btw I'm on break from school so might as well kill time with imagines.