Making exceptions

"would never do anything to hurt you

"would never do anything to hurt you."~ Devanté

1993 Uptown records

Squeezing her limbs into each pant leg Y/n
holstered herself up and lastly added a belt and completed it with the loop.

Her behind was a bit larger than most girls not only that but she tried to hide her stomach. Thank God it was the 90s and oversized clothing was the thing to do. She wore a thin layered turtleneck tee and then a large oversized flannel.
She paired it with her gold-plated snake chain necklace.
Her hair had a deep part that dissolved into a low bun. She threw on some chucks. And polished her lips with gloss and liner. She grinned at herself in the mirror.

Lastly, she grabbed her backpack that had her sheet music and notes in it. She left a note on her refrigerator to let her roommate know that she would be at rehearsal in the studio.

She drove her 92 Lexus to the studio down the road and when she stopped she decided to grab some KFC for all the singers. You see y/n was a known background singer and she developed other singers. Andre Harrell would ask why she wouldn't actually become a solo artist or form a group. But she said she just wanted to focus on the craft of backing up people like Mary J bilge or working with other record companies and providing female vocals for rappers.
Y/n was dope.

'Hey hey everybody, I got some stuff y'all can grub on. Know it's been a long day of rehearsal.' She announced. All of the singers including studio heads rushed toward her as she placed the food on the table.

"Thanks, Y/n, you're the plug. Andre be buggin sometimes."
Y/n slightly chuckled and playfully rolled her eyes.

'Don't mention it Nai.'
'But we still got work to do.' She added. Currently uptown had been working on uptown's most famous group at the time' Jodeci's' album. Y/n was more than a mezzo-soprano. She sung all parts and that's what made her stand out. She could also arrange vocals with much needed confidence. K-ci and Jojo loved her because she reminded them of people down home. She was willing to harmonize on the street corner, at the barbershop, anywhere they'd throw down. Partly the reason was because she wasn't from New york either but was from Georgia and her family sung quartet. She was always on the road with them. But when her mom and pops split up she went to school. And after not having much money to support her dreams in becoming a music professor she decided to sing at local bars and restaurants to make a good living. One of Andre Harells assistants 'Puffy' took noticed and hired her on the spot with the intentions of making her a star.

'Nai what we doin with this song? I take the top and you take the bottom and I'll see if Tasha can take this middle.' she said carefully reading the paper.
Nai was a fellow background singer she had yellow tinted skin with long curly tresses. She was gorgeous. The girl could sing but many people at the label only paid attention to her looks. So much to the point she'd get harassed by label mates and musicians.