7 | First day in school

Days passed quickly and it was soon my first day of school, again. Bill chose a school slightly further away so I could drop by his house on the way back whenever I feel like it.

"Urghh...." I groaned and turned off the alarm before going back to sleep again. Why do I have to go to school when I'm 30 years old...

I drifted off to sleep with ease before jolting up when the cold hit my body. Nat was standing by my bed with the duvet in her hands and I instantly went to find my glasses. "Hurry your ass up. If you eat your breakfast in the car, you can still make it on time."

"Okay..." I did everything quickly and went to find Nat who was already waiting for me with the sandwich. I sling my bag on my shoulder and went to take a bite of the sandwich before rushing to get my shoes on.

"If you woke up on time, you wouldn't be rushing." Nat said when she saw me struggling to tie my shoelace while looking like a mess.

---

I have finished my sandwich and we still have some distance to go. I rested my head against the window since I could hardly see out of the window.

"Where did you get that bracelet from?" Nat said, referring to the one on my left wrist. It was originally a necklace from Nat for my 27th birthday, but it's too big for me now so I twist it once to fit my wrist.

"Oh this? My mum gave this to me on one of my birthdays." I lied.

"Do you have the same one too?" I asked, wanting to know how she would answer. Nat didn't answer the question. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"No, it's not a big deal. I have a matching pair with Y/N." She showed me the necklace that she's still wearing.

"It looks beautiful on you." I complimented her. Ever since we helped each other put it on, I hardly ever get to comment on it since she hides it very well with her clothes. I could see the chain sometimes but never the art so I never got to say anything.

"Thanks. Have a nice first day in school." Nat said when we reached the gate.

"Thank you." I closed the door and waved through the window.

Nat winds down the window and I listen to what she has to say. "I'll pick you up after school. Sorry I didn't pick you up the other day."

"No worries. I know you're a busy person." Especially looking for the person who's right by your side.

---

The first class of the day was English. The teacher was our homeroom teacher and apparently there are two other students who were joining today. We didn't get to know the rest of the class since it wasn't the first day of school. I introduced myself as Allison Bright while the other students introduced themselves as Anita Hailey and Edogawa Conan.

Hailey has chestnut hair that reaches her chin and she looks to be a bit serious, closed off. Conan, on the other hand, seemed more like a child with a smile on his face. I assumed the both of them knew each other before this since they were whispering something before entering the classroom.

"Alright, Edogawa, you can sit next to Amy. Bright and Anita can sit at the empty table at the corner." Ms Smith instructed.

The class started but I was doodling on my notebook, jotting and mapping out what I know about the current case. Judging from what they call each other, their code names are based on alcohol. Since Gin was instructing Vodka, he is likely to be in a higher position. The question is, how many people are there?

I wrote 'Organisation' at the top of the notebook and circled it. How am I going to bring it down?

"Ms Bright, do you mind answering this question?" Ms Smith pointed to the board. I looked at the board before answering her.

After I sat down, Anita opened her mouth and spoke, catching my attention. "Y/N Y/L/N, part of the Avengers, powers unknown..." She stated as she continued to look towards the board. "Unknown relationship with parents. Blood type B+. Went to find Bill when you shrunk, who's staying at 606 Green Lake St. New York, NY 10040."

How does she know so much about me? Was she sent here to kill me? How does she know where Bill stays?

I looked at her and she just smirked at me. Who is she?

I rushed out of the classroom, ignoring the calls from Ms Smith and immediately dialed for Bill. "Come on... pick up your phone... of all the times you chose to not answer your phone, you chose now to do it." I mumbled as I ran to his house. I should really bring some cash the next time I head out.

I kept calling Bill all the way until I reached his house. He didn't answer the doorbell and I'm too anxious to think of a solution. I climbed over the gate and went round to the backyard where he doesn't bother to lock.

I searched and called for him all over his house but received no answer. Was he really killed? I went into the basement and saw him in front of his computer with red all over him. Fuck.

"Bill!" I shook him but received no answer. Suddenly the can on the table dropped, startling me. I took a quick looked at it and realised it was tomato juice.

"Wake the hell up." I slapped the back of his head. "How many times do I have to tell you not to drink tomato juice when you work at night. You always spill them everywhere."

Bill groaned as he rubbed the back of his head. "Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Who the hell is Anita Hailey and Edogawa Conan, why does she know where you stay and so much about me?"

"Ohhh." He slapped his forehead. "I forgot to tell you, Anita stays with me and Edogawa stays with his crush too." He wiggles his eyebrows.

"I'm not in the mood for jokes!" I raised my voice. "This can be dangerous." I reminded him who we're up against.

"Don't worry, I know Edogawa. His real name is Jimmy Kudo. He stays next door." I looked over to the huge mansion next door. His parents are famous author and celebrity. "And... I found Anita lying on the floor in front of my gate the other day."

"You were the one who named her?" Bill looked at me shocked. "Yeah, that is a pretty lame name."

I sighed at the situation we're in, suddenly there're so many factors coming in that aren't accounted for. How can I trust them?

"Aren't you going back to class?"

I didn't want to but since Nat is coming to pick me up after school, I have to be there by the end of the day. "You're driving me back."

He took the keys for his yellow beetle.

Posted on 30 Jan 2022