twenty one

Beverly

I wake to a blaring alarm, blinking tiredly, and having to force my eyes open. I turn to my left, finding an empty spot where Harry lay last night. Part of me wishes he stayed over, but we both agreed it'd be best to part ways.

I turn onto my back, staring at the ceiling, my mind jumping to moments of last night. How we both laid exactly the way I was now, talking about things as his fingers fumbled around mine, us just longing for touch. We talked about our families, how he missed his family who lived across the globe, and how I rarely see them even for them living close by. I planned then that I would visit them today.

I pictured us again, rolled over on our sides to face each other, his eyes still so green in the dark, as we continued to laugh at the dumbest things, like the weirdest experiences we had in L.A. restaurants. We laid so close I could feel his breath warm on my skin, it smelling like spearmint from a piece of gum he had been chewing on since after we left Mel's. I felt the lingering touch of his thumb on my cheek, stroking slowly as he told me again and again how pretty I was. Again, I thought about his hand laying on the dip of my waist, how that simple touch drove me crazy the entire night, especially as we made out in the dark, tossing and turning in the sheets, but never letting it go any further than that.

I could listen to him speak for hours, his voice so soothing. He could narrate a book, I thought to myself.

And I did listen to him for hours; two to be exact, until two in the morning. I listened and learned as he talked about his friends, his hobbies, his rise to fame. It was so captivating, and I was honored that he shared it all with me.

I groan to myself, my hands pushing me out of bed, knowing I had to work. I cursed myself for letting myself stay up that late, knowing in the moment that I would regret this feeling now, but also knowing that it was worth it.

I make my way to the bathroom and turn the shower on, letting the water warm up as I brush my teeth, then stripping down and climbing in. The warm water hits my skin nicely, my hands slicking back my hair as it wets down. I go through my shower routine, scrubbing my hair and body clean, before stepping out and wrapping a towel around my body and one in my hair.

I lay out my work outfit, an all black outfit with a simple black blazer on top. I do my makeup simply, just a bit of mascara, eyebrow gel, and gloss, and head to the kitchen to make my breakfast. During this time, I grab a yogurt out of the fridge and some previously washed fruit, popping a few raspberries in my mouth and letting the sour fruit coat my taste buds. I drop a few pieces into the yogurt, stirring it to create a parfait. Spooning the creamy substance into my mouth, I scroll through my phone to catch up on messages and socials.

Good morning. Hope you're not too tired. H.

Everything he does makes me smile, even a simple text. I shoot one back, my heart fluttering even hearing from him.

I'm definitely tired, but it was worth it. How about you?

I shovel the rest of the yogurt into my mouth, the mixture of sweet and sour from the fruit coating my throat. It was just about time to leave, so I grab my bag and keys and head out the door. The weather was a bit cloudy today, but still warm. I climb into my car, setting my bag down on the passenger's side as I start the engine. My workplace was a quick drive, and luckily did not involve any highways so I didn't ever have to worry about horrible traffic.

I arrive in eight minutes exactly, making me five minutes early for work.

"Shit." I announce out loud as I realize I forgot to make myself a cup of coffee. I sigh, knowing already that it would be a long day.