15

The Upper Three demon lunged powerfully, a cloud a dust behind him. He came straight for Tanjiro. Asami wasn't fast enough to try and stop the demon, but Rengoku was. He used his Flame Breathing and sliced down the arm of Upper Three. The demon backed off, hopping backwards three times. He healed his flopping arm in an instant.

"That's a fine sword." He smirked, licking the blood off his arm.

"Why would you go after a wounded person first instead of me?" Rengoku asked, his voice now serious.

"I thought he'd get in the way of our little chit-chat is all." The demon replied.

"What is it you wish to discuss? Even though this is only our first time meeting, I already dislike you." Rengoku stated.

"Is that right? Well, I dislike weak human beings. The mere sight of them makes my skin crawl."

"If that is the case, I do not think you and I will ever get along." Rengoku stood protectively over the two teenagers.

"Be that as it may, let me make you an offer. Why don't you become a demon as well." Upper Three suggested.

"No thanks."

"I can tell just by looking at you that you're strong. A Hashira, huh? Your fighting spirit has been tempered like quality steel. Your name?" The demon asked.

"I'm the Flame Hashira. Kyojuro Rengoku."

"I am Akaza. Kyojuro, let me tell you why, despite being a Hashira, your strength is not enough. Because you're merely human. Destined to grow old and eventually die. Become a demon, Kyojuro. Doing so will allow you to better yourself for another hundred, even two hundred years." Akaza said.

"Just a one hundred year contract doesn't sound too good. Besides, he'd be joining the very thing he stands against." Asami scoffed.

"And who are you?" Akaza asked, his yellow gaze shifted to the girl who was still crouched beside Tanjiro.

"Asami Kaneko. Now get lost or drop dead." She spat.

"I didn't think they'd allow such a delicate flower to join the Demon Slayer Corps. Asami, you must be strong, too. Become a demon."

"No."

"Both growing old, and passing away. These are things that make being human beautiful. Those may seem like weaknesses to you, but our lives are all the more precious and valuable. You see, true strength does not just refer to the physical body. This boy is not weak. Don't insult him. Let me be clear. The two of us will never see eye to eye. No matter what twisted reasons you give. I will not yield." Rengoku stated.

"I see." Akaza muttered. Upper Three got into another stance, a fist by his chest and a hand straight out. When he stomped the ground, the earth crumbled. "I guess I'll just have to kill you, then." He smirked.

Akaza sprinted towards Rengoku, the Flame Hashira being quick to defend. Akaza threw multiple punches at the other man, Rengoku always blocking them. Everything was moving so incredibly fast, that all Asami and Tanjiro could see were clouds of dust.

"I can't keep track of either of them!" Tanjiro commented.

"Me neither. They're both on a whole different level." Asami added.

"In all my years, I've never gotten to kill a Flame Hashira!" Akaza said. Asami's eyebrows furrowed together.

"He isn't actually gonna kill Kyojuro. He isn't. He can't." Asami reassured herself.

"No one has ever yet to take me up on my offer either. Why do you think that is? As a fellow master of the marshal arts, I just can't comprehend it. Not when only the chosen ones can become demons!" Akaza was about to hit Rengoku in the head, but his arm was swiftly cut off and sent flying through the air. But just as quickly as his arm was cut off, it regenerated.