27

Two months later

Asami lay in a hospital bed, hooked up to two IV's. Bandages were wrapped around her torso, cheek, and arms. She looked around the room she was in.

How did I get here? She thought, then remembered how. Oh, right. The Kakushi, I think. A small pot of purple irises sat beside her on a bedside table. They were wilted, however. She shakily raised her hand to touch one of the petals. The feeling of the flower made her feel more awake. She noticed a notecard that was propped up on the pot. She read it from an awkward position on the bed.

Asami,

Sorry you had to find out this way, but I've retired from the Demon Slayer Corps. My flashy injuries were a bit too much, so I can no longer fight. When you wake up, push through and be as flamboyant as you can! I know you can do it, Asami!

With love,

Tengen, Hinatsuru, Suma, and Makio <3

Asami's eyebrows knitted together. Another member of her family. Gone.

The notecard fell over to reveal a second card. She read this one.

Dear Asami,

Thank you very much for keeping Lord Tengen safe! You're always welcome to come find us any time! You were really brave when we fought that Worm Woman! I wish I could be as brave as you. By the way, your hair is super cute!

Love,

Suma!

Asami smiled at the kind words Suma wrote in her card. Curiosity got the better of Asami. She blew on Suma's card so it would fall over. Behind it was a third card.

Asami,

Lord Tengen tells us that you covered his ass in battle. Thanks for that. Because of you and those three boys, Lord Tengen now wants children. Good job on staying alive in the fight!

Makio

Asami chuckled a little bit at Makio's card. Lastly should be Hinatsuru. Asami blew off Makio's card, and behind it was Hinatsuru's note.

Dear Asami,

Thank you very much for saving me on the roof. Lord Tengen won't stop talking about you and those three boys! In his letters to us when this mission began, he would write to us about you sometimes. He was worried about you. When we saw you on the hospital bed, I'm pretty sure his heart dropped. He talks to us about having children. Enjoy the flowers! Lord Tengen said these were your favorites!

With love and gratitude,

Hinatsuru!

Asami smiled at the letters. They were all so kind. She was upset that Tengen had to retire, though it couldn't be helped. Fighting with just one hand would have been a death sentence, so it was better this way. Asami just wished that they could have stuck around for a little bit longer to tell her they were leaving.

"Asami?" Someone gasped. The girl on the hospital bed flicked her gaze to find Naho standing in the doorway. "Guys! She's awake!! Get Lady Shinobu!" She yelled, scurrying off to find the Insect Pillar. Asami blinked, confused at why it was such a big fuss. Soon, Shinobu walked in through the door, her typical calm smile on her face.

"It's good to see you're awake now!" Shinobu greeted.

"Why are you all making such a big deal about me waking up?" Asami asked.

"Well, after the fight ended with that Upper Moon, you were unconscious for two whole months!" The purple haired woman replied with a small laugh.