Chapter I: Fatherly Bonding

3rd POV-

Five years have gone by since the Funeral of Frankie Kernly. Everyone in Mystic Falls showed up for the burial. Even those who weren't that close to her to begin with. The 'Closed' sign on the Bakery never moving as it stays cleaned daily. Kol and Henrik Mikaelson both taking turns in keeping it cleaned and trying their hand at keeping the smell of fresh baked goods in the store. Although, they could never get it right. Always ending in some kind of burnt pastry or cake.

Niklaus had resorted to locking himself away in his art room. In his mind trying to recapture Frankie's beauty. Canvases scattered around the room, brown eyes, the curve of her nose, the shape of her lips. Paintings of pieces of her all over the place. But Nik knew he could never recreate her with his art, no matter how many times he tried.

Finn had been shut off from the world. His heart broken, the feeling of being empty becoming overwhelming.

Elijah on the other hand was tracking down witches. A feeling of something missing in his chest. He had no idea what it could be but he knew something wasn't right. Witch after witch- no one knew what it could be. Years of searching, killing random witches when he got fed up with their continuous confusion.

Kai Parker was in the same boat as Elijah. A feeling of something. Something wrong. Searching for members of his coven, not to kill them- but to question them. Could the baby be alive? Did he really mess up? No- he knew he didn't. But all his answers were indifferent. No one knew where the child could be- until he came across the one person he despised. His father.

"I never thought I'd see you again, Malachai." Joshua stated, not looking up as he chops the firewood. "How did you get free?"

"I had some help. I'm not here to fight." Kai told him calmly.The hatred he had for this man being kept at bay so he could figure out what was happening. "I met my soulmate nearly six years ago." This had Joshua looking up, shocked at his son's words.

"Is that right?" He let out a low whistle. "Who would have thought you would get one." He muttered, Kai feeling the anger at his words. Joshua slammed the axe into the log, crossing his arms as he turned to face Kai. "So what does this have to do with me?"

"She died five years ago." Kai breathed out, still having issues with saying it out loud. Joshua let out a hum.

"So you killed the only chance of happiness you could have? That's low- even for you, Malachai." Kai flexed his hands into fists, taking breaths.

"I-I didn't kill her. Esther Mikaelson did." Kai could see the breath catch in his fathers throat. "So you know of her? Good. Frankie was pregnant when she was killed. I did the transfer spell-"

"Was it yours?" Joshua interrupted, his eyes holding slight joy at the thought.

"It doesn't matter."

"She cheated on you?" Kai let out a long harsh breath as he clenched his jaw.

"No. She has more mates. This doesn't matter. I did the transfer spell and something happened- I sent the baby to Bonnie Bennett. But it didn't work." Joshua stood up straighter, tilting his head slightly as his eyebrows furrowed together.

"What do you mean it didn't work? It's not a hard spell, Malachai. How did you mess that up??"

"I DIDN'T!" Kai snapped. Taking in a deep breath to calm back down. His anger was rivaling that of Niklaus right now. "I didn't mess it up. I know I did it right. But Bonnie wasn't pregnant. The baby is just- gone." Joshua took a deep breath, his eyes bouncing around as he tries to think of what could have happened.

"The spell is made to send the child to the safest place for it. Maybe the Bennett wasn't the safest?" He offered.

"What do you mean? What would have been safer than a Bennett?" Joshua met his son's eyes.

"Are you sure Frankie is dead? A hundred percent sure?" Kai stared at him.

"Yeah- I watched her eyes, the light left them." Joshua shook his head.

"If she was dead- you wouldn't be here." Kai raised his eyebrows at him, not understanding what he was saying. "When a soulmate dies, it drives the others to insanity. Weakens them. Usually they end up killings themselves in despair."

"Esther said something like that- about how she didn't need to live to make sure her children died." Joshua stared at Kai- realization hitting him.

"You're a heretic now. Aren't you? Who turned you?"

"Does it matter?"

"Who. Turned. You?" Joshua repeated slowly.

"Frankie did. She was made an Original before she met me." Joshua smiled, a huff of air leaving his mouth as he shook his head.

"Frankie is alive, son. If an original dies- their sire line goes with them." Kai stared at his father. Disbelief flooding him. Frankie is alive. Has been for five years and nobody knew it. Nobody went looking for her.

"The prison world." Kai breathed out.