Chapter XXVI: Shadows

It didn't take long for me to curl up against Elijah and fall to sleep. After he cleaned me up, his arms were around me and holding me closely to his chest.

"Francesca."

I jolted upward, Elijah sitting up since his arms we're holding me.

"Frankie? What is it?" He asked as he placed his hand on my back. I looked around the dark room. I had only been asleep an hour or so. A dreamless sleep. But the voice.

"Francesca."

"You don't hear that?" I questioned as I glanced over to Elijah. His face contorting into confusion. Listening for whatever it was I was talking about.

"Frankie..I don't hear anything." He responded. I sat there for a moment, listening. My eyes looking around the room. Nothing but shadows crawling around the walls and floor. Elijah looked around, following my eyes as they jerked around frantically. "Frankie." I snapped my eyes to him, seeing the concern floating around his eyes as he scanned my face.

"I- I must have dreamt it." I said as I stared back at him. His hand lifting to cup my cheek. I placed my hand over his, leaning into his touch as he pulled me back down into his arms. My face burying into his chest as I inhaled his scent. Elijah pressed his nose to my hair. Breathing in my scent as we both relaxed into each other's comfort, falling asleep easily as he tightened his arms around me.

-

"Frankie." I heard near me. A hand on my shoulder, gently shaking it. "Frankie." I opened my eyes to see Elijah whispering to me. My eyebrows furrowed as I move to sit up, only to be held down. His eyes looked between us to see Tucker sleeping soundly. I was extremely happy that Elijah and I had put some clothes on before sleeping. I let out a sigh. I knew something was bothering him last night.

"Tucker?" I whispered gently as I placed my hand on his head, brushing his hair back. His eyes opened slowly looking up before moving to look at me. Eyes widening as he realized he was busted. "Tucker, sweetie. What's wrong?" Tucker sighed, sitting up as Elijah and I move over some to make room. Tucker looked from me to Elijah. "Tucker, tell me." I told him sounding more like a mother would. He snapped his eyes to me before looking away.

"I heard someone." He whispered. "Someone was in my room. So I thought I'd stay in here." I looked to Elijah who nodded before jumping up and flashing to Tucker's room. I pulled Tucker to me, holding him.

"It's alright." I told him calmly. My mind on the voice I had heard last night. Was it real? Is that what Tucker had heard? I pulled him back a bit. "What did you hear? Did they say anything?" Tucker nodded, looking at me.

"It kept saying my name. I didn't see anything though when I looked. Only shadows." I snapped my eyes from him to the doorway where Elijah stood, shaking his head no. There was no one in his room. No scent. Nothing. Kol walked in a second before I could talk again. His eyes looking to me before walking up to Tucker.

"Hey little man- I was thinking about going to get some ice cream and get that new game we were talking about. You wanna come with me?" He asked. Tucker seemed to jolt with excitement looking to me before nodding his head.

"YES! I'll go get dressed!!" He scrambled up quickly before running off.

"Brush your teeth!!" I yelled after him as he disappeared. Kol looked between Elijah and I.

"What is happening? I heard something about voices last night? Am I the only one that didn't hear anything?" He questioned.

"I didn't." Elijah spoke up. Kol and Elijah looked to me. "You heard it last night. What did they say?" I shrugged, looking between them.

"Just my name. But not Frankie. My real name." Elijah looked deep in thought as Kol's eyes widen.

"It knew your name? Like Francesca? Could you tell if it was a male or female? Did it sound evil?" Kol was shooting off question after question until Elijah smacked his head.

"Let her speak." Elijah hissed at him. I sighed.

"I don't remember. It was late- I was tired." I told them. Kol sighed as Elijah walked over to me.

"But it scared you." Elijah said. I nodded making him raise an eyebrow. I looked away from him as memories of last night flashed before me. If I could blush I would be. "You were so frantic to find it last night. I didn't sense anything though." I snapped my eyes up to him. Looking from Elijah to Kol.

"You don't think...that the five years in the prison world messed with Tucker and I...do you?" I questioned. Kol shook his head before Elijah could.

"Kai seems...fine? And he was there longer." Kol mentioned. Elijah nodded in agreement. "Maybe it has something to do with what happened to you after you were killed... With how you survived or how your memory was erased." I narrowed my eyes in thought, thinking about what Kol had said.

"Could I- you don't think a spell was used on me...do you? Magic can cause memory lost...right?" I questioned.  Kol and Elijah looked at each other. Both realizing I was right.

"Maybe we should look into some spells that are meant to keep you from dying??"