Chapter II: Familiarity

Dear Diary,

Yeah, I've gone to writing. You can thank Tuck for that. I never really wanted to do this, but he mentioned something about 'It's rude to not use a Christmas gift.' The kid is too smart for his own good.

Anyway, my name is Francesca Kernly, well- I think it is. See, Five years ago I woke up in this house, alone. Blood on my shirt and nobody around. Let me tell you something, it was weird. I was beyond scared. Not to mention- I was pregnant. How? I have no idea. There is literally nobody here with me. No person on this Earth. It makes me wonder if I somehow was a miracle from the apocalypse or something. But, there is no signs of anything going wrong. Just everybody is gone.

Anyway, I found this name in the house. I'm assuming it's mine. It could just be another persons name that I took. But I like it. Makes me feel warm. Familiar.

The oddest part, I was about a month pregnant. I think- and I went into labor at about 4 months. That was a hard time. I almost didn't think I'd make it- but I healed good. A floor length mirror and a lot of gauze. I wouldn't recommend it.

That's Tucker though. My son. He's a special boy. He was born less than Five years ago, but looks about twelve. We assume that he ages double the time. So we celebrate a year every six months. Making him ten in our eyes. He's extremely smart too- I can only assume because of his father. I was smart- but more so in the kitchen. I don't know where it came from, but I love to bake and cook. Mostly bake. Like a fun pass time hobby.

Anyway. Five years I've been here. Five long, lonely, years. Tucker is great company. But I feel like something is missing. Like a hole in my life. The life I don't remember. I wonder all the time if there is more out there. But I'm terrified to leave this home. Thoughts of whoever is Tucker's father coming back for us- We only leave to explore the town. Mostly for the store and hospital.

Oh! I forgot to mention- I'm a vampire. Which is insane. We don't know if Tucker is one yet. Although he does enjoy his steaks rare.. Maybe it'll take effect when he's older? If he even is one. Thank god for hospitals though. It seems like the blood supply just replenishes itself everyday. It's a little strange-

"Mom!!" I put the pen down, glancing up to see Tucker standing in the doorway. "It's time to go to the store. I need more baking soda." I let out a laugh. Tucker was in a volcano phase. Is that even a phase to go through?

"Alright, let's go. I need a few things anyway." I stand up, grabbing my jean jacket that I found in the main bedroom. It was warm..and smelled so familiar. But not like me. It was strange. "Get your jacket." I told him sternly. He sighed, running off to get his light hoodie.

This was our life. Everyday. Run to the store, waste time exploring and doing fun experiments. Tucker never let a day go by boring. He was my blessing.

We go to the grocery store which is right up the street from our house, deciding to walk today. Tucker runs off to get what he needs. I walk over with a larger cart, gathering the simple things, like milk, eggs, butter. I stop in the aisle, my eyes looking at the bags of Pork Rinds. I always do this. I don't know why. I feel some kind of familiarity with them. Odd isn't it? They are just Pork Rinds. I don't even like Pork Rinds.

I grab a bag of them, placing them in the cart. Something I never did. But today- I felt the need to have them. I didn't even have cravings when I was pregnant.

"Pork Rinds?" Tucker questioned as he appeared next to me, dumping his stuff into the cart. I look at what he placed in the cart, raising my own eyebrow at him.

"Art supplies?"

"I thought I'd try something new." He shrugged. I smiled at him, ruffling his hair as we walked side by side. "Do you think we could make apple pie today?" I glanced down at him.

"Apple pie? What's the occasion?" I questioned. It wasn't odd for him to ask for some kind of dessert, but it was odd he wanted to make it with me.

"Bonding? You know- like a mother- son thing? Mother's Day is right around the corner..I was just-"

"We can do that." I told him, interrupting his rant from embarrassment. Sometimes he seemed like more than one person. It was strange, but I loved it. So familiar. "So Mother's Day huh? Does that mean I get to put my feet up for a change?" I joked with him, shoving him slightly as he laughed.

"No- but I did get you something." I raised my eyebrow at him. He usually didn't go anywhere without me, so that was different. "You'll see when we get home! I need to wrap it still!" He said in pure joy. With that he ran off, probably to gather wrapping paper. My eyes went back to the pork rinds in the cart, my heart cracking as I stared at them. I have no idea what they mean to me. But I pray every day- whoever I am missing-

Please come back to us.