Chapter XXVI: My Dearest Friends

The moment Levi felt a vibration from the ring reverberate through his finger, he went rigid. His gunmetal eyes flickered over to his watch to read the "23:59" with a jolt. He snatched his tracking device and began furiously swiping through the locations of the agents. Prior to the operation, he programmed his device separately with the help of Armin, installing an elaborate tracker for the ring he'd given Xora.

It had been activated.

The location was only a few miles away from his position, right off the river Seine.

"Mikasa!" he shouted from his position outside of Clark's mansion, abandoning his spot. He ran to where she was hidden, crouched underneath a large window beside the gardens. "The others!"

Mikasa didn't question him any further as he broke into a run, headed straight for the dense thicket of trees beside the great home. Once they launched themselves straight through the treeline, Levi tore off his jacket, revealing the strange metal contraption wrapped around his waist. Mikasa did the same with her own long overcoat, the same device upon her hips.

Immediately, with the push of a button, the two leapt off their feet and two cords shot forward, grappling hooks lodging themselves into the trunks of trees. The loud hiss of gas filled the rushing air as they glided forward, blasting the cords forth to pull them forward.

Cold sweat drenched the back of Levi's neck; there was a bad feeling devouring his stomach. The circumstances during the last time she was in trouble were not the same as this moment. They were as opposite as can be, and for all Levi knew, Xora could be dead by the time he reached her.

"Faster," he growled, desperately launching himself as quickly as he could. "Faster, faster, faster!" With another push he was able to nearly double his speed, dragging Mikasa with him.

"Captain!" she called in warning. "If you continue at this pace, you're going to run out of gas too soon!"

"We're almost there!" He snarled, darting forth. "Just a little faster!" The dot on his tracking device wasn't even a hundred meters away now; hope grew in his chest. But his gas gave out on him, leaving nothing in the metal canister attached to the back of his waist. He lost altitude almost instantly and was sent tumbling down the thickets, groaning as he tumbled over rocks, leaves, and fallen, decaying wood.

"Captain!" Mikasa cried again, lowering herself. "They're up ahead!"

"I know," he groaned, staggering to his feet. Without another moment to waste, he dashed off , retracting the cords back into his device. Mikasa did the same, but something in the darkness of the forest caught her eye. She turned and dashed off.

"I think I see someone over here!" she called as she disappeared into the darkness.

"Came to join the party?" came a voice, drifting towards Levi as he emerged in a clearing. A figure stood on the opposite side and strode toward him, nearing with every step. "Your friends had so much fun. Look around you! You missed the grand finale."

It was Eagle.

Horror dawned upon Levi's face as he glanced around to see the bodies of the operation squad littering the ground. Eld laid with two wounds in his torso—deadly, fatal wounds. His empty eyes stared up to the night sky, thick trails of blood staining his chin.

Petra—oh, Petra. Her spine was bent at an irregular angle, her body propped against the trunk of a nearby tree. Her blood was splattered against the dark wood. Oluo laid on the ground nearby, a single bullet hole piercing straight through his temple. His head was turned toward Petra, dried tears staining his gaunt cheeks.