Code I: The Test

"Codename XX," the man behind the desk spoke. The soundproof walls soaked in all of the sound; nearly everything in that room was made of thick metal. It was a room only meant for rendezvous.

"Sir," the woman answered briskly, kneeling on one knee and bowing her head. Her aquamarine eyes flashed dangerously. Hair as dark as night framed her pale face, casting shadows over her mysterious features.

"Prepare. You will show me what you are capable.. I will observe and decide whether you are to take part in this mission."

"Do you mean that mission, sir?"

The commander's blonde head moved ever so slightly in a nod. The woman stood silently and quickly, bowing before exiting out the thick steel door. She entered the next one down the dimly lit hallway, revealing an obstacle course.

First, a thin wooden beam was set over a pit of infested water, large blades suspended from the ceiling swinging across the beam with dangerously sharp edges. It looked like something out of a blockbuster film.

In the next field, there was a forest of wooden stumps with spikes attached to each and every part, the stems maneuverable so they could spin in place. The next obstacle was designed carefully—a chamber with no ventilation, where poisoned air was released from small dispensers. Inside, it was cluttered with heaps of obstacles.

Fourth, there were several moving wooden human silhouettes with targets painted on them. Fifty meters away there was a rifle with only 7 bullets.

And last, the final feat: there was a sea of flames, foot-wide slabs placed one meter away from each other, floating around in the muck. As soon as the smallest pressure was applied, they were designed to crumble and sink. Arrows tipped with a fatal poison shot out from the surrounding walls.

The entire course in of itself was truly more a test of survival than of skill, but such was to be expected with the path the agent planned to tread.

She narrowed her eyes and readied herself, pulling her left leg back and squaring her shoulders. She wanted—no, she needed to go on this mission. There was no room for failure.

A buzz crackled on the intercom as it was turned on. From somewhere, the man was watching carefully.

"Ready," he said, loud and clear. The woman's muscles became tense. "Start."

The woman shot off, sprinting for the single beam wide enough for only a single foot. With extreme agility, she speeded across the thin piece of wood. She bent and twisted to avoid the massive blades that swung across the beam, even falling to hang from the beam. At the end of the pit, she jumped up onto the edge and continued to the next obstacle.

She charged straight into the wooden dummies. With every spike that was triggered, a series of other dummies began to spin, like gears on a machine. The agent was agile, ducking beneath what came above, and jumping over what came below. Whatever she was unable to dodge, she blocked with her forearms or kicked away.

When she emerged from that section, she was immediately thrown into the other. She slipped into the chamber, the door shutting by itself and locking with a loud click. A slow hiss seeped from the vents as a poisoned gas poured into the room.

Heaving a deep breath, the agent quickly swerved around the heaps of obstacles. She climbed over them and around, racing for the exit that promised clean air. However, as she neared the end, she came across a pile of rubbish that stood so high and wide, it became a wall. With no other choice, the agent dove inside and began to dig, clawing her way through. Within a minute, she was by the door, pushing it open with no time to waste.