Code VI: The Great Escape

All Xora could do as she and Levi raced through the crowd was stop her mind from becoming a mess; she only snapped back into reality when they burst out of the doors and into the hallway. His eyes were flickering around frantically, searching for a place to escape or hide. Though it was a fine museum, there were no places big enough for the both of them to hide.

"Did find out about us?" Xora whispered as Levi continued to drag her along, the hallway turning into blurs as they raced past.

"I don't know," he growled, "but they shouldn't have. Hange, where is the nearest exit?"

" Take your nearest left turn at the end of the hallway," Hange's voice crackled. "Follow it, and you should find an exit with roof access."

Shortly, a metal door came into view, and the two took a sharp left, slamming the large door open. There, seemingly endless stairs spiraled upwards. Without a moment's hesitation, as there was shouting in French heard behind them, they bolted up the stairs, higher and higher until there came a single iron door.

Levi swung it open and threw Xora through the door before exiting and shutting it as quietly as possible. Xora held her breath after the escape, the both of them listening for thundering footsteps as the rushing blood in her ears nearly drowned out every other sound—including Eren's panicked cries.

"What happened?!" Eren asked. "I go to the bathroom and come back to find that you've been found out?"

"I don't know," Levi grunted, sliding down to the cement flooring with his back against a wall. "We have to figure out a way to escape."

A cool breeze tickled Xora's hot skin and brushed through her hair, the speckled night sky stretching far beyond the eye could see like a canopy. The city of Paris was lit ablaze with millions of lights, a feeling of tranquility and quiet cast like a spell.

"Is there a way we can get down from here?" Levi sighed, running a white gloved hand through his windblown bangs. Many strands were falling loose from where his hair was slicked back with gel.

"From where you are.... I don't see anything else that's accessible," Eren replied.

Levi clicked his tongue in disdain. "What a shitshow. I haven't performed this poorly in a while."

Xora stood awkwardly next to Levi as he conversed with the others, soaking in the night's grace. Her feet were aching from the heels holding her up; she relieved herself of them at once. After a small silence, Levi sighed again in annoyance, glaring at an empty space in front of him.

"I didn't know you sang," he murmured, sliding his eyes over to meet hers. Though his face was still plastered with a slight grimace, his tone almost gave away his curiosity.

"I didn't know you could play the cello, sir," Xora retorted, bowing her head in the casualness of the situation's entirety. "And quite beautifully, too."

Levi snorted. "Barely."

"I'm no musical connoisseur, but I can tell that you are very talented."

"It was a simple piece. You knew the melody right away, yourself."

"It's only because I recall that I've heard that melody somewhere before, sir. I can't quite remember when, but it's certainly familiar."

Levi e smoothed his hair again. "Drop the formalities. There's no need for them."

"I'm only an agent," Xora replied bluntly, her fingers brushing across the frills of her dress. "It's who I am and what I do. I'm sorry if my formality is to your distaste... as your subordinate, I must address you as such."