Code LI: Liberation

[Many mornings later...]

A deep breath shifted through Xora as she stood in front of the door in the data room that led to where all of the experimental machinery was kept. Beside her were the running heads of the Xyrochron experiment: Hanji, Armin, Esfir, and of course, Levi. Today was the day of the initiation of the brain link.

Though Xora seldom wavered in her self-assurance, she couldn't stop the trembling of her hands. There were so many factors that were unaccounted for, that were unpredictable; although she and Levi had undergone such an intensive training process, she still feared what may become of her.

What may become of the two of them.

Armin silently pulled the thick metal door open and let the group inside. Once again, Xora entered to descend a dark stairway, carefully placing each foot in front of the other. Millions upon millions of panicked thoughts raced about her mind, but she did her best to clear them away; now of all times would be the worst time for her to lose her composure. There was too much at stake now—and everyone was depending on her. There was no room to let anyone else down. The success of the prototype and its technology would mean an astronomical advantage against the Titans.

The trek through the small tunnel seemed to last a millennium; the dim lights only casted peculiar shadows that danced as the team walked forth. Upon reaching the room at the end of the tunnel, Xora noticed that it had changed significantly. There was no CHAIN in sight, and it was now replaced with an enormous computer. Machinery decorated every wall, and in the center of the room sat two chairs. Above the chairs hung, from several long and thick cords, contraptions that looked like metal helmets.

"If the two of you could take your seats on those chairs, that'd be great," Hanji instructed. Although her tone was casual, there was a quiver of anticipation in her voice as she spoke. Xora followed her instructions and sat on the right seat; Levi, on the left. The chair was cold, the leather stiff against her back. She looked nervously at Levi, reaching a hand towards him. He caught her gaze and her hand, giving her a tight squeeze with a reassuring nod. It wasn't only Xora; Levi and everyone else in the room was buzzed and high-strung.

"Please drink this," Armin said as he handed over a small vile to both of the agents. It was filled with the same silver-ish liquid from the last time the two were in the room; it tasted the same, as well; Xora downed the entire slippery concoction. Her skin crawled as the liquid clung to the sides of her throat, sending shivers down her spine. Armin took back the vials.

"Sorry to interrupt, but could you please place your arms on the armrests?" Esfir asked quietly. Xora forced herself to stop the shaking and put her arms on the rests, where they were then strapped to the chair. Her legs were tightly bound to the chair as well, so tightly that the bonds felt almost as if they were cutting into her skin. "Sorry. Safety precautions."

With a shake of her head, Xora looked at Esfir solemnly. "No, I understand. I would much rather have this be done quickly than risk injury. We... we don't know what could happen. So I thank you."

Pursing her lips into a thin, tense line, Esfir pulled the helmet that hung from above down and onto Xora's head. It was heavy and sunk until it covered her eyes, stopping right at the bridge of her nose. Before everything was bathed in darkness, she managed to catch one last glimpse of Levi's steely eyes. They continued to flash with his unwavering confidence in their success. A long leather strap wrapped underneath her chin, securing the helmet tightly to her head.

Esfir stepped away and as Hanji and Armin rapidly began typing things into the nearby computers, whispering quietly among themselves. Almost an eternity seemed to pass before anything else was done; the process was being finalized.