Code XVIII: The Titans

Xora froze, unable to stop her mouth from falling agape. The two men pulled away from each other, sharing her astonishment. Eren—already a light shade of pink—turned downright red, his forest-y eyes wide with embarrassment.

"E—excuse me!" he choked, mortified. Hanging his head, he ducked past Xora and scampered away, his face flushed the entire way. With her eyebrows knit in puzzlement, she turned back to face Levi. He was seated in his chair, leaning back with a rather nonchalant look on his face.

"I'm sorry, did I interrupt something..?" Xora inquired slowly, shutting the door behind her.

"Nothing at all," was Levi's clipped response. He motioned for her to come forward and take a seat in the chair in front of his desk. Xora did as he implied, searching for something to say.

"I don't mean to pry, but is there something going on between the two of you?"

"It's not something to worry about, so there's no need to beat around the bush." Levi closed his eyes. "He's in love with me, though I've rejected him before. I do things to quell his yearning, even if only for a short while."

"That's seems a bit harsh. Why not try to hear him out?"

"He was asking for some form of affection, and I answered with a kiss. It's as simple as that—nothing more, nothing less." Levi rolled his shoulders before leaning against his desk, his hands folding upon each other. "Now, Xora. What is the real reason you came in? You rarely ever enter my office."

"I had a few questions," Xora answered, her face blank.

This seemed to pique Levi's interest. "Shoot."

Taking a slow, deep breath, Xora looked deeply into Levi's eyes, searching for any traces of honesty in their lost colors. "It may not be the right time to ask you this, but... these questions have pestered me for so long now."

It was briefly silent; Levi hadn't moved an inch.

"What is this strange feeling that seems to haunt me whenever I'm in your presence? It's as though I've become ill; my heart begins to race, my head becomes clouded, and I always feel myself get warmer." As if on cue, a flush came to her cheeks. "Not only that... my mind seems to remember memories that I've long forgotten; you're even in some of them, but it feels like nothing more than a hallucination."

"Elaborate a little more," Levi murmured. He leaned across his desktop, peering deeper into her than ever before.

"It's been happening since I first met you. I've been wondering why I feel so vulnerable with you. If you are next to me, it feels as if I can trust you enough to lower my guard, even in the slightest. It feels as though I've known you for a long Time." Xora clutched the fabric of her suit in front of her chest. "And my chest. Why does my chest hurt when I look into your eyes? Why is it that whenever we're alone together, you seem to grow so much warmer?

"And the way you hold me—" Xora's eyes were full of confusion and troubled thought, the stormy color of Levi's eyes piercing straight through her. "You are able to hold me and kiss me so easily—the same that you do with Eren. How do you do this, and without meaning? I am someone who struggles with feeling my emotions and perceiving them as they are. So when you act like this, I'm unable to understand how I feel."

Again, silence filled the air; the gaze the two shared was not broken for a single moment. Then finally, Levi spoke.

"That's a lot of damn questions," Levi scoffed. Xora's eyes flickered to her hands in her lap. "First and foremost, to answer all of your questions in a nutshell: I believe you haven't experienced what love is. Or maybe you have, and you've only  forgotten it, and what it feels like."