Code III: The Fleur De Lis

Merely a few hours later, the haphazard trio arrived at a private runway in France. The roaring of the jet engine subdued as they drew into the long stretch of road, slowing to a stop. They were cleared to de-board and hopped out of the jet, climbing inside an SUV driven by another IE agent. They buckled their seatbelts with a series of clicks, gluing their eyes to the windows as the scenery began moving.

"So, Archangel," Hange chirped from the front seat. "You been to France before?"

"No," the girl answered with a shake of her head. "This is my first time."

At least, from what she remembered. Much of her childhood was a blur.

"Oh, how wonderful! There's much to see in such a city like Paris; I wish I could experience it all for the first time again. Hopefully Levi will allow me the time... but he's generally really stingy about allowing time in the city unless it's for a field assignment." 

Agent XX remained quiet as the countryside flew past the windows, rolling hills and acres of plains covering the land as far as eye could see. Soon, they began to pass through bustling towns and suburbs, soon coming upon the city.

"I was wondering when I would get the chance to meet Captain Levi," the agent suddenly said.

"You really don't need to rush to see him," Hange replied half-jokingly. "After all, there's nothing much to see. He's just a grumpy little man."

The agent's eyebrow twitched in what seemed like amusement, but she averted her attention back to the blurry landscape.

Back at the headquarters in Chicago, she spent nearly all of her time indoors, usually spending her free time training or studying. She would only ever emerge when she was sent on assignments; as such, this mission was a rather dramatic change of pace for her. Sent to another continent, living with strangers, and spending most of her time on the field--whether for better or for worse, the change made her anxious.

"We've arrived," the chauffeur informed them, parking the car in front of a small mansion.

Its body was a milky white color, marble columns decorating the entrance and nicely groomed yard. Inside the pristine glass windows, chandeliers could be seen dangling from the ceiling. Its flat roof towered high, a few floors leading upward to a gray sky cloaked in a blanket of clouds.

"Mercí," Hanji thanked the chauffeur, unlatching the door and climbing out. The agent and Eren followed her and stepped out, breathing in the fresh air. "We're here!"

"I haven't been here--well, since this morning," Eren sighed.

The woman nodded, but really, her mind was wandering elsewhere. Why had Erwin sent for her in the morning when she'd only taken the test around noon?

She was jolted out of her thoughts as they made their way over to the large double doors, both the same pasty white as the house with intricate designs painted around the handles. Hange curled her fingers around the silvery handle and twisted it open, a cool blast of air hitting the trio.

Hange bounded inside and kicked off her boots, throwing her tan jacket haphazardly on the smooth wooden floor.

"Leeevi!" she sang, lifting up her glasses to prop them up on her forehead. "We're hooome!"

Her voice echoed around the vast room foyer. Pretty little tables decorated with fresh flowers were placed by the corners of the room. There were two marble staircases on both sides of the foyer, leading upward until it met in the middle with a balcony. A long hallway in the very middle of the staircases led off to many more rooms, with one set of large double doors at the end.