Code XII: Jacque Germaine

Glancing at her watch, Xora read 23:59, the manor dark as she leaned her back against the wall beside the front door. Shortly after Levi had dismissed her earlier that day, Eren had delivered what would be the most casual outfit Xora had worn in years.

It consisted of a simple white tank and a pair of khaki cuffed shorts. On her feet she donned dark brown boots, and her wrists and ears were decorated with gold jewelry.

"Interesting," Levi commented, jerking Xora out of her thoughts. She looked up, bowing in greeting as he approached from the balcony. "I see Eren is going out of his way with your costumes. It's not a bad choice."

"Yes, sir," Xora said briskly, lifting her head. In truth, Levi looked to be the well-dressed on, wearing black jeans and a collared shirt. His hair was ruffled and unkempt, the complete opposite the night of the gala at the Louvre.

"Before we leave, I have something to give you," he noted. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a ring. A beautiful, cube-shaped diamond the size of a pencil eraser was encrusted onto an intricately engraved gold band, floral patterns etched into the metal.

"A ring?" Xora asked. Her eyes went straight to Levi's in suspicion that he was messing with her naivety, but by the way his deathly pale cobalt eyes glittered, she could see he was by no means joking around. He took her hand, but Xora shook her head. "I know our false identities are supposed to be wed, but with all due respect, it wasn't necessary for you to go out of your way to find a ring."

Levi snorted. "You misunderstand. These were specially made from the Iridescent Empire. They're communication devices; if you push down on the diamond, it sends a signal directly to a ring I'm wearing and alerts me of your location." Reaching into his pocket again, he pulled out a ring that looked exactly like the one for Xora, except it lacked the gigantic diamond. "Of course, it will be helpful in maintaining the consistency of our disguises, but it's also a tool. It can only be used once, because after it gives out the signal, it self-destructs after a certain period of time. Save it to use in the case of an emergency."

After Levi slipped his ring on his left ring finger, he held out his hand expectantly. Reluctantly, Xora reached over and let him take hold of her left hand. His touch was surprisingly gentle, his hands warm as he held hers. Slowly, he slid the ring onto her finger, his fingertips softly brushing against her skin.

"There," Levi murmured softly, lifting her hand to his face. "It's the perfect fit, mon amour." Then, before Xora could react, Levi pressed his lips to the pale skin of her knuckles, sending sparks through her body where they met her skin. Xora winced when he did so, reflectively retracting her hand behind her back.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked. When she didn't respond, he let out a small sigh. "You must get used to this. When we are in front of others, even the smallest mistake creates room for disaster."

"I'm sorry," Xora apologized, casting a gaze of shame to the ground. "I am giving it my best, Captain. Although socially inept, I will continue to strive to get better."

"Do you need more practice?" After a few silent moments of frantic contemplating, Xora gulped audibly and slowly nodded once ever so slightly.

"Y—yes," she stuttered.

"It's alright. With me, there's no need to be afraid." He took a step toward her, and it took everything in her not to take one back. "Where do you want to start? I could touch you, embrace you, kiss you—"

"A hug," Xora interjected, flushing when he dared to venture as far as kissing. Did people normally kiss others they had only met weeks ago? Did people normally kiss at all? "Embrace me." Shutting her eyes tight, Xora braced herself.