chapter 45

Bryce (Lacey's brother)

     I ran, as fast as I could. My legs were aching, and sweat was dripping down my body. My lungs felt as if they were going to burst, and my head spun with worry. I would not stop until I found my sister.

I don't know how long  had been running for, but I didn't care. She was my little sister, and she was gone, maybe even suffering. I stopped just for a second and shifted back to human form when I felt bile rising in my throat. I gagged, the food I recently eaten being spewed from my mouth.

My heart was beating so frantically that I could hear it. I leant against an old willow tree, trying to catch my breath. Then, I heard something just moments later. I gulped, straining my ears even harder to listen.

"Help!" I heard a voice scream. My heart dropped, and a mix of panic and relief filled me. 'Xavier, I hear her.' I mind linked. 'Follow my scent to get here. She sounds like she's in pain, we need to hurry.' I said, before shifting back. I sprinted, using all the energy I had left as I smelled her scent mixed with someone else's get closer.

She was here, just feet away from me. My heart shattered as I saw her holding Charlotte, who has blood pouring swiftly from a deep cut located on her neck. I could tell Lacey was unconscious. I howled loud enough for the others to here me, before nudging my snout under each of there bodies so I could carry them on my back.

Multiple wolves emerged from the woods, each one panting heavily. Xavier shifted into his human form, taking my sister off of my back. 'Let's go! We need to find the nearest hospitable, human or not!" Xavier growled so loud that it made the trees shake.

Lacey

I woke up in a white room for what felt like the hundredth time in my life. I looked over, feeling a familiar warmth pressed against my back. Xavier was holding me softly against him, and there were dark bags under my eyes. My heart dropped and panic filled me once everything hit me.

Is my baby okay? Is my best friend still alive? Where is everyone? What happened?

Xavier fluttered his eyes open, and I instantly felt comfort when I saw his blue-grey orbs. I hadn't realized I was crying until I felt his calloused thumbs brush against my cheeks. "Everything is okay, shh." He murmured, holding my face. I took deep breaths, allowing myself to calm down.

Right then a doctor had walked into, holding a clip board with a empathetic look on her face. I squeezed Xavier's hand, digging my nails in his skin as she cleared her throat. He pressed a soft kiss to my temple, using the other hand to rub circles on my back.

"You went directly into labour during that traumatizing event. The baby was born extremely prematurely, so she's under close watch right now. We put you on tocolytics to ease the pain of the contractions, incase you gained consciousness suddenly. However, we had to do an emergency c-section, in result of your body not being prepared to push." The doctor explained.

"So my baby is okay?" I asked quietly. She nodded. "Born at 3:16 a.m., 5 pounds and 13 ounces." Tears of joy and relief filled my eyes, but my smile soon faded once I remembered Charlotte. "What about Charlotte?"

"She survived, she's very, very lucky. We managed to stitch her up, along with repair the windpipe. The recovery will be rough, but she is sure to be fine. She'll be talking in no time." The doctor said. I smiled, putting my hands over my mouth.

Tears of pure relief streamed down my face, as Xavier held me in his strong arms.

"C-can I see her? My baby, I mean?" She nodded, before disappearing into another room. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so so sorry I wasn't there to protect you, I love you so much." Xavier said with pain in his voice.

I grabbed his face and pressed my lips to his, to try and shut him up. My heart raced in my chest as his soft lips moved against mine, sending sparks throughout my body. I pulled back slowly, resting my forehead against his.

"It's okay, Xavier. I'm here now, aren't I?" I joked playfully. I could tell he wasn't fully convinced that everything was fine, but before he could answer another doctor entered the room, holding a small bundle of pink in her arms.

I held out my arms, taking the infant. She had Xavier's nose, long, dark eyelashes, and my chin and cheekbones. Her skin was soft and delicate, and her small hands just moments later wrapped around my index finger. I giggled, pressing a kiss to her nose.

"She looks like a Lillian." I mumbled, the beautiful name rolling off my tongue. Xavier smiled and brushed a hair away from my face. "How about.. Lillian Elaine?" He asked. I nodded, a smile finding it's way onto my lips.

"I like that. Lillian Elaine Black."

---
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEE SO CUTE!! and before you all freak out this book is not over yet!! ;)

Still like 2 more chapters.. But look out for more books in the future!! Love you all, don't forget to leave nice comments and vote!
-Corinne