chapter 2

Lacey

I woke up, only hours after I had fallen asleep, hungry. The rumbling in my stomach made me groan in annoyance. I scolded myself, remembering I hadn't eaten anything once I got home. In the condition I was in, it was imperative to eat as much as I could when I got the chance. It was always uncertain for me when my next meal was coming.

I curled myself up towards the warm blankets, trying to fall back asleep. Sleep was a great comfort to me, where I could escape and be in my own world. I had endured nightmares, but they were slowly going away as I found myself staying away from home as much as possible. However, despite my yearning to rest, my stomach wouldn't shut up.

I sighed, and tiptoed out of my room. I walked into my kitchen, trying hard not to make any sound. In this time of the night, I had become as silent as a cat. My toes seemingly barely touched the ground. I peered over the banister leading downstairs,

I knew my father was still gone, otherwise he would be sleeping on the couch, passed out- drunk.

While I was looking through the refrigerator to find anything to eat, I heard the door open along with loud footsteps.

My father.

My heartbeat quickened impossibly more. My stomach lurched, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

I turned around, praying for my life that he wouldn't beat me, or touch me in any way.

"Why the hell are you awake, slut?" He growled, making me whimper.

"I was just g-getting some food, I'm sorry sir." I said, my voice shakier than ever. I had broke one of his rules: I was up past curfew. I don't know why, but this was big rule for him. Even if I happened to be a minute late, it would result in more anger that my frail body could hardly handle. And I had broken it, all out of hunger. I stood with my legs close together and my head down as he circled around me like a predator going to catch its prey.

He then backed up, making my heart drop. He was now standing a few feet away from me, an empty beer bottle in his hands. He quickly lodged it at my head, hitting perfectly as I felt the warm blood oozing from the side of my head. The brown glass shattered against me, as I closed my eyes tightly. He shoved me against the ground, my weak frame having no match against his immensely strong one.

I cried out when he kicked me, punched me, and whipped me for hours straight. My body felt numb after him abusing me for so long. I could hardly even open my eyes. I wanted to cry, but I knew I couldn't. That would result in more blatantly horrible insults. I refused to show him my weaknesses, and what hurt me. I wasn't exactly sure why he resented me so much, but I did know one thing for certain: he made me lose trust in all people, especially men. I know that sounds like a sweeping generalization, but it's true. I flinched and stayed away from boys who tried to flirt with me.

Once he was done, he passed out on an old, torn up couch we had in our small living room. I looked at his face, seeing as he frowned in his sleep as well. When I was younger and things were better, I remember I would still lay a blanket on him when he fell asleep — despite his cruelty towards me. I refused to believe that some people were truly bad at heart. I was innocent and pure then, before all of the hatred built up inside of me slowly. Now, the resentment bubbled over in my soul like an old tea kettle on the stove for far too long.

I let myself close my eyes momentarily, knowing that if I tried to stand that I would immediately fall back down. The ache that spread through my body became dull over time, making the thought of sleeping lure me in even more.

         It was currently 4 am, as I looked up at the clock. I had passed out after the harsh beatings. I rubbed my eyes, feeling the swollen and deformed figure of my face.

I needed to get out of here. My life was slowly slipping from my hands, I could feel it. If I didn't do something soon, it would cost me my life. In the last few months, the abuse had gotten out of hand. Before it had just been distasteful remarks, negligence, and a slap every so often. I wasn't excusing it or downplaying by any means, I knew that once anyone placed their hands on you — even if it was family — you needed to flee. I had been so terrified as to what would happened if I did leave, due to the fact that my trust in the overall human race was so incredibly low.

I stood up from my curled position, my legs shaking when I heard a loud crack in my ankle. I bit the inside of my cheek as I found myself wanting to scream out in pain. Instead, I clenched my jaw intensely. I carefully limped outside and into the woods located near my house, looking up at the moon for some sort of comfort. I had done that since I was a child. I constantly looked for signs from the universe, waiting for some sort of guidance to help me in this life. I looked ahead of me, seeing the miles to come. I was willing to walk forever — I just needed to find somewhere where that monster wouldn't find me, ever again.

After limping in the woods for what seemed like hours, I found myself resting against a broad, large oak tree. I brought my knees up to my chest, shivering from the cold, crisp morning air. I breathed in deeply, the smell of the freshly fallen leaves soothing my nerves from last nights event. I glanced around my surroundings one more time, just to make sure there were no houses. I found myself gracing a ghost of a smile amongst my face. It was beautiful. The ground was covered in brown and orange leaves, the large oak and willow trees creating a canopy above me. The smell of rain lingered the ground. I felt at peace with myself.

I dozed off for a bit, my eyes fluttering open once in a while -- just to stay alert.

And for once in my life, I felt happiness soar through my heart.

I'm free.

---
Hey guys! Hope you liked this chappy :)) Let me know what you think!
-corinne