chapter 38

Lacey

Charlotte and I sat there, our feet lazily resting on the dirty dashboard, eating ice cream for God knows how long. I was tempted to call Xavier and apologize for leaving so abruptly. I knew he would be more than angry at me and I wanted to fix that, but my phone was dead. Just great.

"Should we head back?" I asked, rubbing my full stomach. I felt sick after all of the ice cream I had just eaten and was already regretting it. Charlotte nodded, covering her mouth motioning like she felt she was going to be sick, before sitting up slowly from the leant down car seat.

Then, Charlottes loud phone echoed through the car. I groaned at the annoying sound, the tune continuing to play before Charlotte finally found it in the mess of her purse. "Hello?" She asked, he voice croaky from crying.

I didn't listen to the conversation, assuming it was unimportant to me. I stretched, and started to pick at my chipped nails. "Oh no." Charlotte croaked, ending the call.

My heart started to slam against my chest when she put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"It's Xavier."

I choked up. "W-what do you mean?" I tried asking, my voice weak. My wolf shook with anxiety inside of me, whimpering once in a while. She was just as scared as I was.

"He was in a motorcycling accident." Charlotte responded, her face falling. I felt my chest closing in on me before we quickly sped off, not thinking twice about where we were going.

Charlotte's pale hands we shaky as she gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles as white as snow. Her eyes were as wide as saucers, and I could tell she was struggling to drive.

I also struggled for breath, the choked up sobs never ceasing when we reached the cold hospital. I struggled to get out of the car, my legs trembling underneath my weight - my body shivering from the cold.

This didn't feel real.

Not my Xavier.

Charlotte grabbed my forearm, guiding me into the white hospital. She quickly checked in, her small voice cracking when she mentioned Xavier. My heart tugged. We were quickly led into an all white room, that smelled of medicine. I hated it already.

Just a few moments later, a doctor walked in slowly, being sure not to startle us. I quickly snapped my gaze back to my shoes, hating when people saw me cry. "He was hit on his side by a quite large truck. 4 ribs are broken, and his lungs are extremely effected from the impact. It was too hard for him to breathe, so he instantly went into a coma." The doctor said emotionlessly. Angry and sad tears blurred my vision, how could someone be so heartless?

More salty salty tears blurred my vision when I saw Xavier's strong, tall frame curled onto the small bed. The doctor and Charlotte had left me, thank God, to give us privacy.

Wires were attached to his delicate, tan skin, bruises and cuts trailing his entire body. Xavier's eyes were closed, his long eyelashes framing his battered face. He had a bandage wrapped around his head, where you could already see the blood oozing from.

There was another bandage; this time around his torso. His chest was bare, and you could see every scar and bruise he had gotten just moments before. My heart felt as if it were being stabbed repeatedly.

He looked so vulnerable.

I sniffled and opened the door all the way now, cringing when it made a loud, squeaky noise. I took slow, small steps towards my mates sleeping frame - making sure not to disturb him before I sat on the edge of the bed.

I broke down in the silent room, burying my head into my hands while my body shook with sadness and anxiety. This couldn't be happening.

I softly then sat on the edge of the bed, my wolf whimpering when Xavier didn't respond to my presence. I grabbed his still hand, and traced his long fingers. Eventually I laid down right next to Xavier, still holding his hand. However, I kept my distance just to be sure I wouldn't hurt him.

Then, I drifted into darkness.

Xavier

"Xavier! C'mon." I heard Lacey's sweet voice giggle, enticing me. I snapped my head over to Lacey, recognizing that we were in our large, white bathroom. She had bubbles covering her face, and her hair was up in a messy bun. She was wearing skinny jeans, and one of my hoodies. Her adorable dimples peaked through her rosy cheeks, and her pearly whites were being shown.

Stunning was an understatement.

Confusion swarmed my thoughts when I saw a child in the bathtub. The toddler was gorgeous - and looked exactly like Lacey. She had big, green eyes, a small nose like Lacey, and thick curly blonde hair. I fell in love with her right when I saw her.

She was my daughter.

I smiled, moving my legs so I could walk towards them. But I couldn't. My legs felt like lead, and were just dragging me down. I could barely take one step without stumbling. My head started to spin, and worry filled me.

"Help!" Lacey screamed, along with the child's cry starting to fill the air. I heard the water splashing, and gurgling. I attempted to run towards them, despite the sharp pains I was feeling. It was my job to protect them.

Anger pulsated through my veins when the cries kept repeating. "Xavier! Help me! Please!" Lacey screamed again, this time her voice choked. Tears blurred my vision as I kept trying to run towards my family - to save them.

But I couldn't.

---

Let me know what you think of this chapter!! I worked really hard on it haha. By the way , the comments last chapter made my day.

Love you all to the moon and back times infinity. xx

-Corinne