Ch 67: The Dashing Escape

They left midday, the party of five going through the motions of their morning activities. Adelaide went to the fields, getting in a few rounds of training with the recruits, before instructing them all to self-train and practice sparring. She wasn't certain where Marcus and Anthony were, but she knew Henry was talking with the Elders and other advisors, weaving together the story that he was visiting a friend nearby. The fewer people who knew the truth, the better. The last thing they needed was someone catching wind of their true destination and alerting Brittany that they were fleeing. As for Kayden, he was finishing preparing the horses, making sure they were well-rested, watered, and fed. It would be a fast and hard ride to the border and an unhealthy horse would only complicate matters. 

The weather, at least, looked promising. There weren't any signs of impending storms that would potentially delay their departure. Adelaide crossed her arms as she looked up at the blue sky, her attention entirely on a drifting cloud rather than on the soldiers grunting and slamming against one another. She only broke eyecontact when she felt someone move up beside her. 

"I hear you're leaving this afternoon with Henry to visit a friend?" Adeliade's eyes rolled instinctively at the voice and she unintentionally sighed as she turned to address Thomas Grey. If he noted her irritation, it didn't phase the smile on his face. 

"That I am," she retorted with a bite. She knew she should treat him with more respect, he was Henry's fiancée's half-brother after all, but there was something so annoying about Thomas Grey. He was like a pungent smell that one couldn't pretend was anything but horrid. Adelaide also trusted him about as far as she could throw him. 

"How long do you think you'll be gone?" He pressed. 

"I don't believe that's any of your concern, Lord Grey," Adelaide said smoothly. "But if you want details, I suggest you ask Lord Henry. It's not really within my authority to be discussing his private matters."

"Yes, yes, I understand," Grey nodded. He folded his arms behind his back and shifted his weight from foot to foot. A suspicious feeling coiled in Adelaide's stomach as she observed him. Was he nervous? He did look pale and slightly uneasy, but she couldn't figure out what would have him on edge. It wasn't like he was aware Brittany was on their way to capture Henry and turn him over to Richard. Right?

As she opened her mouth to confront him, she heard Kayden holler her name. Turning, she saw him a good distance away motioning her with his hand to head over. He must have seen her nod her head, because Kayden turned away and headed back to the barns, Marcus and Anthony appearing at his side as they dissapeared around a corner. 

Adelaide redirected her attention towards Grey and raised an eyebrow at his odd behavior. Feeling her stare, Grey looked down at her and offered a sheepish smile. But despite his best efforts to appear normal, calm and collected, she noticed the way his eyes wavered, how he licked his lips and gulped heavily before turning away from her and strolling back into the city. 

Knowing she didn't have time to address her unease or the authority to question Thomas Grey, Adelaide cleared her head with a shake and ran to meet the others. She would bring it up with Henry as soon as they were safely in France. Despite pretenses, she knew he didn't trust the Marquis anymore than she did. 

"We're ready to leave," Marcus said as soon as Adelaide entered the barn. She nodded her head before moving to her own horse and checking over everything. Kayden wasn't one to misplace anything or not tighten a strap secure enough, but old habits die hard. 

"Always so meticulous," Kayden joked, walking his horse up alongside her own. She laughed softly, the sound not caring as much amusement as usual, before she turned towards him. With a half-hearted shrug, she offered him a smile, hoping he knew she wasn't trying to offend him or suggest he didn't know how to do his job properly. 

Kayden's smile told her he understood and together they trailed behind Marcus and Anthony. Henry met them outside looking falsely composed and convincingly relaxed. But Adelaide could see the tension in his eyes as he took the reins for his own horse and swiftly swung up onto its back. 

"Let's go," he said to them, directly the horse into a soft trot as they began making their way through Vannes. They waved at a few people they knew and tried to look like a cheery group heading out to socialize. Adelaide wasn't sure how believable their act was but no one raised an eyebrow or questioned them as they passed. 

As soon as they were outside the city and away from most prying eyes, Henry urged them into a ran and none of them looked back. 

Adelaide and Kayden road in front, Marcus and Anthony in the back. Henry remained in the center of their ranks for the entirety of the trip. They were all on high-alert, every movement from their prephieries having them jumping with nerves. They didn't know where Brittany's forces were or how close they'd been, and not having that information was coating the group in a thick layer of paranoia. 

Already, Adelaide's tailbone was starting to hurt, but she kept her eyes wide and her posture ready. Her hand fluttered to her sword every time they darted by a traveler. Briefly, she glanced back at Henry whose expression was unreadable, but he had a death grip on the reins which was making his knuckles turn white. 

No one was certain how long they road. But the sun was still up once the forest came into view. Adelaide heard Marcus audibly sigh in relief, and they eased the horses into a slower pace as they approached the cover of the trees. After a quick check of their surroundings, they moved under the canopy of darkness. 

"Baker," Henry hissed to the shadows. Immediatly, Matthew Baker appeared hauling sacks full of clothes for them. Adelaide wasn't certain how long he'd camped out here waiting for them, but regardless of the situation, his round rosy cheeks and bright smile were undeterred and welcoming.

Adelaide dismounted first, grabbed a few of the bags from Matthew and tossed them towards Marcus and Anthony who caught them deftly. Wordless, the group began to strip off their more offical-looking  garments and replace them with grungier pants and shirts that would hopefully hide their identities enough while they traveled. 

Maybe it was the anxiety or the stress that had Adelaide forgetting her little secret. 

But as she hauled on her clothes with rapid precision and turned to address the group once more, realization slapped her across the face as she came eye to eye with Anthony. Had it been anyone else, she wouldn't have been so worried. The forest was dark and she had dressed quickly while turned away from the group. But Anthony Beasley had eyes like a hawk and his night vision was nearly just as good as his day vision. 

He raised an eyebrow at her and despite the situation, Adelaide couldn't help but feel the reaction was rather lukewarm in comparison to the revelation. 

"Just so you're aware, you and I are going to have a talk once were in France," Anthony whispered to her before climbing back onto his horse. 

A feeling somewhere between panic and relief filled her.. 

He hadn't said anything to catch the attention of the others. And as Adelaide scanned their small group, none of them seemed aware of  the exchange at all. Henry and Kayden, in particular, gave her curious looks when she made eye contact with them, both seemingly  oblivious to what had just transpired with Anthony. Which was good. 

Plus, Adelaide had her chest wrapped. Maybe Anthony  just thought she was injured and wanted to talk about her bandages. Check she was okay. 

Taking a calming breath, Adelaide straightened her spine and nodded to herself. 

There was nothing to immediatly worry about, she told herself. There wasn't a guarantee her secret had been revealed. Besides, she and Anthony had been dressing simultaneously. The timing of their eye contact was most likely purely conicidental. There was also the possibility that Anthony wanted to talk about something entirely unrelated to her suspicious wrappings. 

Yeah, that was probably it. 

Anthony didn't know. He didn't suspect anything. Hopefully.