Ch 17: A Revelation

Adelaide woke with every inch of her body tingling in pain. She felt nauseous and uncomfortable while the blankets thrown over her threatened to suffocate her. Beads of sweat ran down the side of her temple and clumps of blonde hair stuck to her scalp. Someone had placed a cold rag on her forehead in an attempt to cool her, but it had mainly just left her and her pillow wet.

With a loud groan, Adelaide slowly sat herself up in bed and began working on pushing the covers away. Someone had brought her back to her room, and the familiar surroundings had her breathing easy. Once free of the blankets, Adelaide pulled on a fresh change of clothes and cracked open a window. The cool breeze that pressed against her face was welcoming and calming despite sending a shiver down her spine. Tears stung her eyes, but she wasn't sure if she was crying because of the wind or if it was because of Henry.

Adelaide felt a choked sob rise up in her throat as she recalled his departing figure, and curled her hands into fists at her side to try and stop her shaking. Her tears were momentarily halted, however, by a knock on her door. Startled, Adelaide furiously wiped at her eyes hurrying to open the door.

Jasper towered over Adelaide and was wearing a similar expression of grief. However, there was something else hidden in his eyes though. It was an expression Adelaide couldn't put a finger on, but it made her uncomfortable.

Just behind Jasper stood Kayden who seemed unable to look at Adelaide in the eye. She further tensed as she stepped back to allow them into her room.

The three of them stood in an awkward and silent circle for several minutes with Adelaide trying to read their expressions. Neither would look her in the eye and seemed unsure how to approach the subject that had come to her about.

"You clearly have something you want to say," Adelaide began, slightly annoyed. As her senses started coming back to her, Adelaide silently contemplated how much time had passed and how far Henry had been taken away. It was a thought that made her sick.

"I believe it's actually you who has something to tell us," Jasper responded carefully. He raised his eyes to Adelaide for the first time since entering the room, and it struck her immediately the looking in his eyes she previously couldn't understand. It had her stepping back several paces. She felt her lungs constrict and her breathing quicken as her thoughts raced.

They knew.

"I can explain--" Adelaide started.

"I sure hope so," Jasper interrupted, his voice louder than Adelaide had ever heard it. He had always been very patient with her, quiet and calm. Now, though, he seemed unhinged, almost... angry? "How could you have lied to me these past, what, five years? Why is it you never bothered telling me, the man who practically raised you, that you were, in fact, a girl?"

The room went silent.

Adelaide stood with her mouth open, formed in response, but no sound came out. Kayden stood in the background blending into the surrounding. It was almost as if he wasn't even in the room. Jasper, on the other hand, had taken several steps towards Adelaide and was within arms distance. His face was slightly red, and his eyes gave way to what looked like betrayal, sadness. Adelaide felt her heart drop.

"I didn't know how to say it," Adelaide began. She looked up at Jasper, but he seemed to be waiting to hear her explanation. Adelaide sighed and fidgeted where she stood. "When we met on the ship for the first time, I lied and told you guys I was a boy because that's what I was going to pretend to be in the new place I was escaping to. Back home, no one took me seriously, me or my art, because I was a girl. So I had planned to get away and start anew as a boy where hopefully I would be better received. However, I ran into you guys and ended up staying with you. I had already told you guys I was a boy and it seemed weird to suddenly retract, so I just went with it."

Again the room was silent. Adelaide looked up at Jasper trying to gauge his reaction, but his face was stone still. Kayden's posture loosened a bit as if he was sighing in relief. Something Adelaide didn't fully understand.

"Does Henry know?" Jasper questioned. Adelaide shook her head.

"I've never told anyone," she responded quietly. Jasper sighed and reached out a hand to pat Adelaide on the head. It was such a fatherly gesture that Adelaide instinctively began tearing up, despite her best efforts.

"It must have been tough, all these years, holding onto such a big secret," Jasper softly whispered. "I wish you hadn't though. We're family, we're supposed to share our burdens with each other."

Adelaide nodded her head slowly and wiped away the few tears that had leaked out.

"How did you find out though?" Adelaide finally considered, looking up in confusion. Jasper suddenly coughed loudly, and Kayden shifted in discomfort.

"Well, when you passed out in the courtyard, we called a doctor to come and check that you were okay. They were the ones to inform us that you were just suffering some pain and illness because of," again he coughed loudly, "because of womenly circumstance."

Adelaide felt her face burn scarlet. She suddenly wished her hair was longer so she could hide her face. Instead, she chose to bury her embarrassment in her hands and turned away from Jasper and Kayden.

"Anyway," Kayden interrupted. "Now that we know you're actually a girl," he paused, uncertain. "I doubt your parents named you Arthur."

Adelaide snickered at the guard's awkwardness. It seemed to lighten the mood a bit, and Adelaide found herself slightly smiling.

"My real name is Adelaide," she said softly. It felt strange saying her real name out loud. It had been so long since she had said it. "Arthur was my father's name."

"Adelaide," Kayden repeated. He had a soft smile curling at the edge of his lips, and his eyes softened as he looked at Adelaide. "It fits you."

Adelaide felt a blush spread over her cheeks. Kayden, seeing Adelaide blush, also started blushing. Jasper laughed in amusement and stood back to look between the two. He was clearly enjoying the moment.

"Anyway, we, unfortunately, have bigger things to deal with than your sudden gender reversal," Jasper said clearing his throat and coughing away his laughter. Adelaide cocked her head to the side as she met Jasper's eyes. He smiled devilishly and turned towards the door preparing to leave. "Pack your bags, Adelaide, we're going after Henry."