Ch 36: A Troubling Girl

Adelaide had forgotten what it was like to be alone. When she had been younger, that feeling was all she really knew. Every moment was plagued by suffocating loneliness that threatened to cripple her into an everlasting depression. The nights were the worst; surrounded by darkness that made the eerie quiet louder, and although Adelaide never feared the dark, she hated the coldness that it brought and how isolated she felt lost in the absence of light.

She had filled those days with painting and drawing. Sketching endlessly until her hands cramped and she couldn't even correctly curl her fingers. She fabricated a family out of canvas, using her father's equipment recklessly to fill the empty space that was the rundown home she refused to leave. The floorboards creaked, and the ceiling was falling apart, but Adelaide at least at pictures to warm the space even just a little.

That had seemed like enough at the time. But now, having known what a warm bed felt like, what regularly served food tasted like, and what the presence of a friend could do in times of sorrow, Adelaide couldn't imagine returning to such a lifestyle. In part, Adelaide was angry that Kayden had left her so soon. She still felt uncomfortable about what had transpired between them, but now that she resided in the room by herself, the nightmares of the days on her own were slowly returning.

So, despite the morning still being cold and the air harshly crisp, Adelaide dressed herself up, threw on her cloak, veiled her hair, and left her room for the first time in a long time, as a girl. It was still tranquil throughout the town, but people were steadily waking and beginning their morning duties. Market stalls were gradually opened as people began the familiar routine of trading and selling. Adelaide felt nostalgic walking through the crowd, hearing the usual jargon of sales and propositions. She could recall countless times trying to negotiate to someone passing, hoping they'd be willing to buy one of her art pieces, whether it be out of fascination or pity.

As Adelaide continued walking, she couldn't get over the strange feeling that someone was watching her. Scanning her surroundings, it quickly came to her attention that several men were glancing her direction. Her eye contact had several fleeing swiftly, but a couple managed a small smile and a nod, waiting to see if she returned the gesture. Bewildered, Adelaide hiked up her skirt a little and resumed her trudge through the snow, hating how the rim of the dress was already soaked.

However, despite the growing unpleasantness, Adelaide silently giggled to herself at the memory of Jasper, teaching her how to properly fascine the layers of fabric she now wore. He had also given her a quick rundown on proper etiquette as a lady, like how to hold the dress and walk, and how to position the veil so that it didn't fall off repeatedly. Of all people, Adelaide had not expected to be taught by Jasper. When she had confronted her adopted father about his strange knowledge of women's clothing and mannerism, his response had been unexpected.

"Exactly how do you know how to tie a skirt and bodice?" Adelaide had questioned, trying the task on herself while he critiqued her from a distance. At that moment, Jasper had halted and stared very seriously at Adelaide, contemplating the best response.

"One must understand a woman in order to pursue her," he began, getting a little pink in the face. He coughed loudly and placed his hands behind his back, standing a bit taller to hide his embarrassment. Adelaide raised an eyebrow at him and shook her head incredulously. Jasper glared and pointed a finger at her. "Don't judge me, Adelaide. I'm an unmarried forty-five-year-old man. So far in my life, I've spent more time running and taking care of you and Henry, I haven't exactly been able to meet many women worth courting."

Adelaide hadn't responded to his statement than, choosing just to silently laugh at his behavior. Recalling the moment now had Adelaide smiling to herself, and a pleasant warmth taking root in her chest.

Adelaide continued her morning stroll casually observing the other village individuals as they went about their daily routines. Little children laughed to each other loudly, throwing snow with exuberant force at one another with no regard as to where it landed. A passing elderly woman received a face-full of the white powder by accident, her age keep her from getting too upset, but it did considerable damage to her walking. She dropped her bags to the ground as she tried to stabilize her steps, her body swaying to find sound footing again. Adelaide's body had moved instantly to run forward and help, but the elderly woman was already being assisted by another woman. It was clear she was the elderly woman's daughter, the two shared a familiar resemblance that couldn't have been coincidental. The younger woman laughed at her mother's dazed nature as she looped their arms together. They smiled to one another cheerfully as they grabbed their things and resumed their walk.

Watching them, Adelaide felt a strange hollow feeling fall into the pit of her stomach. The warmth from recalling Jasper had receded, and Adelaide was now suddenly aware of how cold she was. Her teeth chattered loudly, and her body shivered painfully. The sun had drifted behind the clouds, and the voices that had previously surrounded Adelaide seemed to fade into the background.

She couldn't quite explain why seeing a mother and daughter walking together tugged so sharply at her heart, but Adelaide stared at their backs until they disappeared down the street and rounded a corner. The previous hollow of loneliness began to creep back into the center of Adelaide's chest, and she hugged herself quietly in the middle of the busy, market road. She stared at the mud and snow that was the general makeup of the ground by now and wished hopelessly that Henry was with her. He always found a way to take her mind of the more serious things.

Shaking her head, Adelaide resumed her stroll. She passed several more families as she walked, but Adelaide tried not to think too significantly about the things in life she was lacking. She stopped momentarily to pray at the town's church before deciding to head back to the inn she was staying at. However, Adelaide found her directions muddled, and before long, she was lost walking down an alleyway in hopes of rediscovering the main road.

Out of nowhere, a hand reached out and gripped her wrist. Adelaide turned ready to defend herself but found that the person who had ahold of her was a small child with hollow cheeks and dirty clothes. The little girl couldn't have been older than ten, and it was evident that no one was taking care of her or providing for her. Her face was smudged with mud and her eyes wide and alarming yellow-tinged. Adelaide bent down, ready to give the small girl a loaf of bread she had stored in her bag, but the girl suddenly reached out and touched her face with a startling, cold hand. Subsequently, Adelaide fell silent.

"You're going to die unhappy," the child suddenly stated, her voice deep and not childlike in any manner. Caught off guard, Adelaide could only stare, unsure of how to respond to such an accusation. The little girl, however, seemed to be waiting for Adelaide to say something, and a dreadful and awkward silence fell between them.

"What makes you say that?" Adelaide eventually managed. She would have thought the little girl was joking with her, but there was something about the look in the child's eyes and the manner in which she touched Adelaide's face that unnerved her.

"You're going to sacrifice everything for someone else," the little girl continued. "You have a big heart, but you're a fool. In exchange for the happiness of others, you will give up your own, and then you will die."

Adelaide's mouth hung slightly open, and her eyes shifted nervously as she tried to absorb the apparent warning. However, it seemed the little girl didn't want to wait for Adelaide to gather herself. Swiftly, she withdrew her hand, took the bread in Adelaide's hand, and scurried down the alleyway, disappearing before Adelaide had even stood upright.