Ch 41: Amor Maria

Location: Plage Suscinion [It's a beach that's about a ten-minute walk from Chateau de Suscinio]

Adelaide found herself seated in a ring alongside other women of the castle. They each had in their laps pieces of wool that they were fashioning into sturdy clothing for the soldiers and men at work in the fields. Adelaide fumbled with it in her hands, trying to remember the techniques she'd been taught by Marian as a child. Her fingers were untrained, and her work sloppy, but the wool eventually started to form the shape of a shirt despite the patches and raggedy, loose threads.

Amongst the women in the circle, Adelaide spotted Charity, who smiled sweetly at her. She also noticed several of the soldier's wives present along with some of their sisters and close cousins. A few of the maids sat amongst them as well.

Adelaide had been surprised to get an invitation to this women's meeting, but so far wasn't regretting her decision in coming. Sewing was a foreign affair to her, but Adelaide was so far enjoying the new experience. Drinks and food were displayed on a side table against the room's back wall while a friendly fire burned vigorously in its mantle. The room itself wasn't terribly large, but it was cozy, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The conversations were varied throughout the room as Adelaide mainly eavesdropped. She so far hadn't partaken directly in any of the discussions or gossip. Occasionally, one or two women, including Charity, would turn to her and ask her opinion on a matter, but Adelaide's responses were lackluster and apparently void of the required passion and vibrancy that the women expected. Everything had to be stated with excitement or paroxysm, and if it wasn't, it wasn't impressive enough. So, Adelaide resolved to sit quietly, focusing on her work, while listening to the women around her.

"So, I recently received a letter from my sister who, as I'm sure you all know, is still currently residing in England with that Yorkist husband of hers," one woman began scornfully and loudly. Quickly, everyone's heads turned towards the older woman with anticipation. Adelaide was aware her name was Melissa Mitchell, and she was currently married to one of Henry's advisors. She was a frank woman from what Adelaide could decipher, with greying hair and severe wrinkles around her eyes and mouth. It was also apparent that the gossip she brought to the table was always exciting and new.

"What's the latest news Lady Melissa?" Charity asked eagerly, leaning forward in her chair. Melissa leaned back in her chair smug, relishing in the attention and focus. She set down her intrinsically crafted shirt and took a long, deliberately slow sip of water before scanning the room briefly. She smiled.

"You all would not believe who was just made a Lady of the Garter," she whispered eagerly. The women broke out into gasps and loud exclaims of interest. The title was foreign to Adelaide, and her reaction mute as a result. She looked around confused, unsure of who the person in reference was, and why it had any relevance. Charity noticed Adelaide's perplexity first and whispered to her mother, Catherine, quietly.

"Have you not heard of being a Lady of the Garter before, Lady Adelaide?" Catherine asked polity once the initial commotion died down. Now the attention of the room was directed on Adelaide. Her cheeks were warm from embarrassment, and she shifted uncomfortably.

"I'm afraid not," Adelaide responded in a small voice. She coughed a little and adjusted her seating.

"How could you not know about the Lady of the Garter?" One woman asked snootily and with an air of superiority. A murmur of agreement ran throughout the circle, and several shook their heads. Adelaide felt her stomach twist in annoyance.

"How unfortunate," a second woman named Emily added. She closed her eyes in pity but had a mock smirk plastered on her face. Adelaide had met Emily on several occasions before but had never cared much for the girl. "Your parents must have been too poor to property educate you," Emily continued with a sigh, opening her eyes and staring directly at Adelaide, the smirk remaining in place. "I have always suspected that Sir Arthur was raised in poverty just based on his mannerism, but it's much sadder knowing that my suspicions were correct."