𝟏𝟓

Kaimana Valencia | December 1995

Kaimana woke up suddenly, blinking her sleepiness away. She looked at the clock and it read 3:12 a.m. Christmas ended three hours and twelve minutes ago.

It was a good Christmas. It really was.

Kaimana, Zaiyah, and Stephen all spent time together and opened gifts and awed over Zaiyah's first holiday.

Zaiyah seemed to have enjoyed herself since she was crawling in all the wrapping paper from the aftermath.

An abrupt wake up from nothing wasn't new for Kaimana. She always woke up out of the blue since her sleep schedule wasn't immaculate due to her baby and studies.

After seeing Zaiyah sound asleep, Kaimana walked out of her bedroom and went downstairs.

She walked in her holiday slippers her dad had gotten as a joke, but they were so, so comfy. She walked to the kitchen and pulled out a mug, trying to be quiet since her father was sleeping too.

She opened one side of the fridge and used a spoon to scoop leftover Christmas dinner into her mug from the tupper-ware. Potato mash, corn, and some pieces of roast.

Kaimana was half asleep and she wasn't hungry, but she was heating up the mug of food anyway.

She stared at the microwave, fascinated by the functions. She pressed stop at exactly one second left, so the imaginary bomb wouldn't explode.

She sat on the kitchen counter and stirred the food in her mug with her spoon. She felt a loose hair from her bun tickle her neck, but she ignored it.

Kaimana gasped in horror when there was a knock at the front door. She held the spoon in her mouth, mug in hand and warily hopped off the counter.

Kaimana had been in the dark this whole time, so it was good in case the person outside her door was bad. They wouldn't know there was anyone awake and they would go away.

She walked to the window near the door and peeked one eye through the curtains.

Quinn.

Suddenly, Kaimana was wide awake. She rushed to the door to let him in from the cold. She unlocked the three locks on her door and opened it.

"Quinn," she said softly, taking the spoon from her mouth and putting it in the mug.

"Did I wake you?" He had a nervous, but relieved smile on his lips. The condensation puffed in front of his mouth like a cloud and his teeth chattered. He had on his winter gear, but he was wearing pajama pants and a sweatshirt underneath it.

She shook her head quickly and moved to let him in. "Come in, come in." She shut the door when he was over the threshold.

She led him to the living room after he kicked his shoes off and she locked the door. They both dropped onto the couch, their thighs touching.

"Is everything alright, Q?" Kaimana asked, brows creased into a frown. "Do you want tea? Blanket?"

He shrugged his shoulders, staring down at his lap.

She quickly stood up and put her mug on the coffee table. She started the fire at the fireplace since they were seated at the couch by the fireplace, so he could warm up.

She grabbed a throw blanket on her father's armchair and went back to her friend. That was when she noticed the bruises on his face and the scab from a cut on his bottom lip.

He had a bruise on his jaw and just below his right eye was starting to bruise.

"Quinn." She gasped and put the blanket around him like a mother would do. "Your mum did that?"