𝟑𝟗

Draco Malfoy | April 1996

"You came."

He didn't actually think she'd show.

"Yes, I did. So this better be for a good reason, stalker." Kaimana was wearing pajama pants and a big Hufflepuff sweater that supposedly was one of her mate's. Her hair was thrown into a messy braid she probably couldn't care less about.

He remembered that her hair looked curled today, with a curling wand. And those baby curled hairs fell out of her braid, framing her face elegantly as if they were paid to.

He didn't show that he found her effortlessly beautiful.

"It is for a good reason," Draco insisted, and nodded. "You're going to tell me why you ditched me during the tutor session."

"Because leaving you speechless is funny." She shrugged, and went to sit across from him on the opposite stone seat.

"Where's your baby?" he asked, ignoring her comment.

"Up your—"

"Ass."

"Yes." She nodded, impressed. "You're catching on."

"Funny." He rolled his eyes. "Is she okay though, without you?"

"She's asleep." Kaimana nodded again, but this nod was joined by a serene smile.

"Come." Draco stood and nodded out of the alcove. "Let's walk, yeah?"

She made a sound like a groan and a whine. "But I'm so lazy right now." She slumped against the wall, still sitting. "Can we sit for a minute? I've already used half my energy just walking here."

"Clover, come on." He crossed to her and took her hands in his to pull her from the seat. "Walk with me please." He felt her fingers seal around his hands.

"Only because you said please."

"Stealing my line, are we?" He looked down at her with an amused grin.

She only smiled.

They both walked down the empty corridor, about two inches between them.

Draco broke the silence: "Are you not going to tell me why you ditched me?"

"I've already told you," Kaimana insisted, and shoved her hands in her sweatshirt pockets.

"Leaving me speechless isn't funny, Clover."

"But it is to me. It counts for something, doesn't it?" She laughed softly, amused by her own comment.

"You can talk to me." He didn't mean to sound so mushy and soft.

"I can't though." Her response confused him.

"Why not?" he asked, his eyes flickering over to her.

She was walking with her head hung low. "Because it's complicated."

"Try me."

"You'll think I'm crazy," she told him, and finally met his eyes. Draco noticed her brown eyes tended to have a twinkle in them when she was being honest and genuine.

"I already think you're crazy," he replied, and shrugged.

He caught sight of a small smile on her pretty lips before she looked straight ahead. "Let me ask you something first," she eventually said.

"Go on." He nodded. Fuck, he couldn't take his eyes off her. But he forced himself to.

"Why did you all of a sudden decide to talk to me?" Kaimana's tone of voice was low and even. "We hooked up almost two years ago, and after that, we barely spoke or even looked in each other's direction. You just threw snide comments at me. You got a girlfriend and then continued with your snide comments. Then just recently, you started to make excessive efforts to talk to me. Why?"

"Honest?"

"Please."

Draco couldn't believe he was really going to say this, but it was half of the truth. "Before, I felt like I was drowning. I felt like I was being pulled underwater, and I couldn't breathe. And you do crazy shit when you're drowning. When you're drowning, you'll grab onto whatever is closest to you if it means that you could take one more breath. You just happened to be the one thing I grabbed onto." He paused, shoving his hands in his sweatpants pockets. "I guess I just find that I'm secure and at peace when I'm talking to you or paying attention to you. Like I'm grounded."

Kaimana fell silent.

"That's the truth." Half of it at least.

"Well, I'm glad I could be of help." She turned to him and sent him the smallest, but most earnest smile.

His eyes lowered to her lips.

He hated this.

He couldn't stop staring at her lips. He couldn't stop thinking about kissing her. Even when she had been talking during their dance practice, when she was ball dancing with him.

Her perfect lips. Her full, pretty lips. Her top lip was a tiny bit thinner than her bottom, and her cupid's bow was nearly perfect. They looked so soft and so smooth. Her lips had a natural pink tint to them. A neutral pink sort of colour.

He so badly wanted to shut her up by sealing her mouth with his.

He wanted to know what it would feel like. Would it feel as good as it did that night of their hookup? Would it have the same fire and passion? Less? More? Would it be everything he imagined to have her lips on his again?

Draco was drawn back to reality when he felt the soft pad of a thumb wipe the corner of his mouth.

"You've got drool there, stalker," Kaimana said, obviously joking, but also curious about his thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

He felt the heat speed to his cheeks. "Nothing." He shook his head and looked straight ahead.

"Okay then." She sounded unconvinced, but she didn't press on.

Silence as they walked.

"So, will you tell me?" He turned his head to her.

"I can't really tell you," she mumbled, her head hung low. "It's easier to show you, I suppose. I mean I guess I could tell you, but just showing you would be easier."

"Show me what?" He was intrigued.

"I have the stuff in my dorm." She pushed a lock of her loose baby hair away from her face when she found his eyes.

"Stuff?" Draco lifted a brow.

"Information. Notes." She shrugged.

"What's all that for?" he pressed on, puzzled and curious.

"Remember when you said that you don't remember what happened after you showered?" Kaimana turned her head to look left to make sure no one was lingering in the corridors.

"Of the night we hooked up?" Draco mused, and walked with her down the corridor.

"Yeah."

"Yes. Why?"

"Remember how you said you just assumed we fell asleep?" she went on, her voice getting lower and smaller.

"Mhm." He nodded.

"Remember how you said that I must've knocked over your snow globe and cut myself when I snuck out because it was shattered and there was blood?" Her voice was so faint, he barely heard.

"Yes." Draco was beyond confused now.

Kaimana turned and met his gaze. "That's not what happened."