𝟒𝟒

Kaimana Valencia | April 1996

"Oh, fuck you, stalker." Kaimana shoved him and rolled her eyes annoyedly.

"That wasn't meant to be an insult, Clover." Draco chuckled in amusement and pointed back at the old picture of a dead rose. "It was a compliment because a rose looks lovely even when it's dead and rotten and withered."

"You've got a way with words," she muttered, and crossed her legs, shining the flashlight over the book they were flipping through.

Guilty, Kaimana was once again at the mystery aisle with Draco past midnight. She was sitting on the floor with him, and they were both leaning against the shelf.

Zaiyah was asleep and Kaimana made sure of it before she snuck out, making sure not to wake up Meleah. Kaimana still put Zaiyah first, and she made sure her baby was okay and well before she snuck out.

Kaimana didn't feel that sick and nauseating feeling she used to feel whenever Draco asked about her daughter. She felt okay. Better than okay.

"I mentioned Mai to Pansy the other day," Draco murmured, and shifted closer, so their thighs weren't only brushing, but they were pressed against each other.

Kaimana tried not to show how weak she felt so close to him as she deliberately put her leg over his, so her thigh was over his. "Did you?" She looked over at the tall boy and captured his gaze. "What'd she say?"

He didn't move his leg. "Chung walked over to us and she told Pansy she would put in a good word in," he said quietly, and she noticed how his gaze was always intense and focused when he looked at her.

"Thank you," she whispered with a small smile.

He nodded with a smile of his own. She saw his eyes darted to her lips before he met her brown eyes. "I think we should stop flipping through picture books, and go back to the research about the potion that could change the way someone acts," he mumbled, his voice a bit hoarse.

"Okay." She caught her eyes lowering to his own sensuous lips, but she quickly looked away and closed the picture book they were flipping through. "Lija did a bunch of research for me already, so I've just been doing more research on his research."

"Can I see?" He took the flashlight from her to hold it for her, their fingers brushing in the process, and it made flames erupt inside of her. He shined it over her lap, where she put the research book with a thick stack of parchment stuck between it.

"Look." Kaimana opened the book to the page she marked. She pointed at the old photo of what the potion was supposed to look like, which was a dangerously dark red. "It's this potion. It's called Draught of Displease. I've already got that noted, but I just need to do more research about how it's made. The potion takes about an hour to take effect on the person, depending on how much is consumed."

"We don't learn this stuff in potions." Draco's voice lowered as he scanned the page, taking his time on the old photo.

"I know. It's bullshit." She scoffed and pointed at a blurb on the page. "This talks about the dangers of the potion."

"That's a stupid name." He scoffed, shaking his head. "'Draught of Displease'?"

"Draco's a stupid name, but do you hear people complaining?" It wasn't a stupid name, but she knew her comment would irritate him.

He stared at her with brows drawn together, and his jaw tight. "Is that so? Draco's a stupid name?" His voice dropped tauntingly lower.

"Yes." No, it's easy to moan.