𝟐𝟓

Draco Malfoy | February 1996

So Draco was right.

He knew it all along.

The only reason Kaimana avoided him was because of their drunken hookup during a party hosted in the Slytherin common room. And then he had a girlfriend, so she probably felt the need to stay away since she got emotionally attached.

On May 31st of 1994, he and Kaimana hooked up in his dorm during a party. And then he got a girlfriend in late June of 1994.

Probably wasn't the best thing to do, but the past was the past.

Draco never really thought too deeply into his and Kaimana's drunken hookup. Well, he thought about it. Like the things they did. But he never thought much of it.

He knew that Kaimana and her ex, Zander, had broken up the day before the party. So the hookup was most likely an impulsive thing for Kaimana to get out of her system.

But after their hookup, she avoided him like the plague.

A bit immature of her to avoid him because she got emotionally attached, Draco thought to himself.

But the knowledge that she avoided him because of that really pissed him off. It was so childish and so immature.

But to be fair, Draco felt triumphed that he finally got a few words out of Kaimana. It wasn't much, but it was something.

As the days passed, he found himself paying very close attention to Kaimana, but not in a creepy way. He was very subtle about it.

He studied her body language and her gestures. He studied her emotions through her expressions and the way her shoulders were up or dropped. He could tell what sort of emotion she was feeling by the way she sat or even walked.

And that mystery child of hers. That fucking baby was always smiling.

She smiled so naturally. She was one-years-old now, Draco recalled from the happy birthday anthem Kaimana and the rest of her group sang for the baby on Valentine's Day. And she knew how to smile.

Draco didn't know how to smile.

He remembered the way the offspring waddled unsteadily towards Draco the other day when he got a few words from Kaimana.

The way the offspring laughed that baby laugh Draco never heard before.

It made something in his stomach jump, but he had to admit, it wasn't a bad feeling.

And during that encounter, he had finally got to see the baby up close a little more. Those pale blue eyes she had... the father had to be Jaxon.

But, like now, for example, Draco could see Kaimana was exhausted by the way she was sitting. Draco was walking into the library to meet with Theodore and Blaise when he saw Kaimana sitting at one of the tables in the aisles.

Her shoulders were dropped and her back was hunched, her leg crossed over the other. Her elbow was on the table and she had her head in one hand, her fingers tangled in the roots of her hair. Her other hand scribbled on a piece of parchment and her robe was off. She looked stressed and exhausted and completely done.

Draco could guess she was working on something for Potions.

"Hey, mate." Theodore smiled once Draco found them by the couches.

Draco was a bit bitter towards his mates because they knew how to smile.

"Draco, after classes, we're doing some practice scrimmages on the pitch with some others," Blaise said as the three of them walked to one of the book aisles. "Care to join us?"