Chapter Fourteen

"Okay, let's go over this one more time," Danny sighs as he fixes your hair. "My father is?"

"To be directed as Chancellor Phantom. I am to remain silent unless asked to speak," you roll your eyes. "I am to keep my head down and refrain from making eye contact. Why do I have to meet them?"

"It's either we meet them there, or they'll come here. I'd rather keep them in their territory; there's less they can do to us there," Danny explains as he tightens the straps of your dress.

You sigh in defeat and slip into your black stiletto heels. The realization of your height difference makes you giggle.

"We're the same height now," you smile and grab Danny gently by his face.

"So we are," he smiles back.

"I love you," you say bumping your nose with his.

"I love you," he repeats and places a sweet kiss on your lips. "I will protect you. No matter what I have to sacrifice."

"You won't have to," you furrow your brows.

***

Your heels click against the linoleum floors as you walk behind Danny towards ceiling-high double doors.

"I'm probably going to hate this entire memory," you mumble.

"You're so dramatic," Danny rolls his eyes.

"Don't-"

You're cut short by the extra-dramatic opening of the double doors. You bite your bottom lip to refrain from making any snide comments.

"Stop doing that; you'll smudge your lipstick," Danny whispered to you, but the true reason was he wanted to bite it for you.

Images of last night crowded his mind, but he cleared it before the thoughts could trail any farther.

"Father," he says monotonously.

"Voltaire," his father barely acknowledges him over the rim of his wine glass. You give Danny a confused. "You're early."

"By a minute in a half," Danny says sounding bored.

"Early nonetheless," his father smiles, baring his sharp fangs.

You look away, remember your pep talk from this morning.

"This must be y/n," another man speaks up.

"She smells most delightful," a woman smirks at Danny. "I hope she becomes tonight's main course."

"Over my dead body," Danny hisses and pushes you behind him in a defensive stance.

"That can be arranged," the woman begins to rise.

"Enough," Danny's father speaks up. "The girl will not be harmed until further inspection."

Inspection? Like inspecting my couchie? I hope they're certified, you think to yourself.

"You are no fun at all, Vladimir," the woman sighs in disappointment.

"Where is the rest of the council?" Danny asks.

"Watching," Vladimir answers vaguely. "Y/N."

"Sir?" You look up when Danny steps aside.

"Come closer," he orders.

You look at Danny for approval and move forward when he nods. Vladimir flits to you, standing only a step away from you. He grasps your chin firmly and tilts your head side to side.