The role model she needs

Today is one of those days that I am looking forward to. Now that Jules has progressed to single-seaters it has become harder for me to see him. The reason why I am looking forward to today is because Jules has a break and he promised that he would come to see me. There is something else on my mind. The bullying from Nikita has grown relentless. I just need to hold on as I know for a fact that I am better than him. I have the advantage going into this race as I have out-qualified Nikita for the fifth time in a row. Right now I am making sure that I am good to go with the help of my brother.

"Ok, Jess. I think you are ready. You just need to make the tires last," Jules informed me as he looks up from what he is doing.

"That is the plan," I responded. It should be easy. There is just one problem. I don't know what is going to happen behind me. It doesn't take long for the race to begin. It doesn't take long for me to come under fire from Nikita. I am trying my best to keep him behind me however he is being relentless. Sorry, Jules but I may not be able to look after the tires like you said. It doesn't take long for disaster to strike. I can feel myself being pushed to the side as Nikita's kart makes contact with mine. Despite the shove from Nikita, I am able to keep control. After thirty more minutes, the race has come to an end. There is one good thing that has come from this. I still finished ahead of Nikita. I am about to confront him but I am stopped.

"Jess. Nikita isn't worth your time. You're doing the talking on the track," Jules reminds me. He is right.

It has been a week since the race in Monaco and I am on my way to Rouen. I just hope I won't have an incident like that on my hands when I join Erin. Just in case I am challenged I made sure to bring one of my race suits and helmet. I am hoping that it won't get to that stage but it will be a little bit of fun if it does get that bad. I can feel my hands tighten around the steering wheel of the car that I am using to get to Rouen. There is one problem. Nyck was unable to join me as he had a matter back home to deal with. Normally that wouldn't be the biggest of issues but I am worried that I am going to lash out like the last time I confronted Nikita. I remember the incident well as I was discussing a few things with Callum Ilot after an incident between Nikita and him and out of nowhere Niktia attacked Callum. The fight ended in a black eye for Callum and Nikita and a one-race ban for Nikita and I. I know that I deserved the ban after all I was out of line but it put Nikita in his place. I just hope that I don't lose my temper like that again. After five hours of driving, I have finally made it to my destination. A small hotel by the karting track which is already a hive of activity. I quickly dump my stuff and head to the track.

"Jess you're finally here," Erin remarks as she looks up from the kart that she is working on.

"I wasn't going to leave you. I promised to come," I replied. I am about to get to work on helping Erin but I am stopped by a familiar voice.

"Jess, it is good to see you again. Erin told me that you would be joining her," the voice belongs to the boss of my old karting team. I assume he wants to check on Erin since she is his next talent.

"Yes, she told me she needed help with getting someone off her back," I explain.

"I know exactly who you are talking about. Let me fill you in," He says as he leads me to the hospitality area. I get the feeling that it will be similar to my story. The team boss quickly fills me in on the situation as it turns out that I am right. There is only one key difference. The perpetrator of the bullying is Saudi. Which meant that he was taught that girls shouldn't be a part of the crazy world of motorsports.

"I just hope that I can make a difference like Jules did," I muse.

"You already have. Anyway, I should let you continue with helping Erin. I'm sure she will appreciate her idol being her mechanic," the team boss remarks. Those words catch me by surprise. I was unaware of my impact on Erin. I just hope that I can be Erin's version of Jules. The thought puts a smile on my face. The smile soon disappears as I notice that Erin has been approached by a boy.

"Please Akhil, can you leave me alone. I have work to do," Erin remarks.

"Why don't you get your friend to do it," He sneers. He really does remind me of Nikita. I wonder if he will learn his lesson before progressing to single-seaters. I doubt it. I just hope that he learns his lesson quicker than Nikita did.

"She's a driver, not a mechanic," Erin counters. I can hear the pride in her voice. It makes me glad that I decided to help Susie.

"I can be your mechanic if you want," I remark as I join the pair. It doesn't take long for disaster to strike.

"Akhil. Leave her alone. She'll learn soon enough that motorsports is a man's world," I find myself getting triggered at those words. After all, I am proof that women can make it if they persist. Ok, I just need to keep calm. I know for a fact that I can help Erin as I have had a similar journey to her's.

"Excuse me Erin has every right to be here," I speak up. There is no way I am going to sit back and watch.

"And who are you?" He asks. I can hear the disdain in his voice.

"I am Jess Bianchi and I am a woman that has made it through the ranks," I declare. Sure I am not a Formula 1 driver but he wouldn't understand my motivations for joining Formula E. He seems doubtful of my response.

"Ok then prove it to me tomorrow. If I win you'll leave Akhil alone and if you win I will ask Akhil to leave Erin alone," The man wagers as he offers his hand for a handshake.

"Deal," I responded. I ignored his offer for a handshake. He doesn't deserve my full respect. With that Akhil and the man, I assume to be his father leave. I sigh to release my pent up frustration. At least I know I have the skill to beat the man. I just need a good kart. I am sure I can pull some strings for that.

"You didn't have to do that Jess," Erin speaks up.

"Erin. That man needs to learn some respect," I echo what my brother said to me when I first encountered Dmitry Mazepin. With that out of the way, Erin and I get back to work on making sure that her kart is ready for Erin's race. After ten minutes of work, Erin is ready to go. With that, I leave to find a good vantage point so that I can watch over Erin and hope that she can teach Akhil a lesson. It doesn't take long for me to hear the familiar rumble of the karts' engines. I spotted Erin who is in first place closely Followed by Akhil. I can tell that he is desperate to make his father happy. After an hour of action, the race has come to an end with Erin in first. She never gave up the fight. I feel proud of her. I think I understand how Jules felt when we got a Bianchi one-two. I find myself sighing as I head back to the makeshift garage. Honestly, that was some of the best karting action that I have seen for a while. It is the day after and I have managed to secure Erin's kart for the agreed three-lap shootout. I am quick to get into my Mercedes race suit. For some reason, I decided to check on my kart. However, I can feel a quizzical stare.

"I didn't realise you were a Mercedes reserve driver," Akhil's dad sneers.

"Guess again," I said while gesturing to the fan boost sticker on my helmet. Plus I am only going to rise to the challenge on the track. There is no way that I am going to let him win in more ways than one. The look of disdain on his face only grows. Oh great, now I am dealing with someone who thinks Formula E is not a good series. Well, I will have to see how far I can get ahead of him. Yes, I am confident in my ability to adjust to things on the fly. It doesn't take long for us to line up at the start. I send him a death glare as the green flag is dropped. To no one's surprise, my reaction is quicker than Akhil's father. In turn, the gap between us is relatively big. After a lap of pushing Akhil's father has closed the gap but not by much. I think I am going to win this one with a reasonable margin. After the second lap, he has gotten closer again but like the last lap, it is not close enough. After a minute and fifteen seconds, our three-lap shootout has come to an end with me as the winner. I soon bring the kart back to the garage. It doesn't take long for me to be intercepted.

"It looks like I owe you an apology," Ahkil's father remarks as we take our helmets off.

"I'm not the one you should be apologising to," I retorted.

"Well all I can say is you win so I will ask Akhil to leave Erin alone," He counters.

"I'll be checking up on Erin to make sure," I threaten. Well, that is my job done for the day. I am glad that I was able to make a positive impact on Erin's career for now. The thought brings a smile to my face as I leave the track.