A break from racing

It is the morning after the race in London and Nyck and I have decided to do something different. Instead of heading back to Monaco, we are going to the Netherlands so that Nyck can spend some time at home before the season finale in Berlin. It will be a nice change. Right now we are on our way to Heathrow airport. It is proving to be a little stressful as the traffic is a little annoying. At this rate, we might actually miss the flight. Ok, I concede it might be an exaggeration but it feels like that will be the inevitable outcome it is at that moment I realise that I am starting to sound like Kai.

"I have everything under control," Nyck announces. I know, however, there is a problem.

"Well you have everything you can control under control," I responded. I am starting to wish that we had gone with the public transport option for the journey to Heathrow. I quickly shrug a majority of the annoyance off as A) there is not much that I can do as I am not the one driving and B) It is only Nyck and me in the car. The rest of the team is heading to Brackley.

"That still counts," Nyck retorts, getting a giggle from me. He is right. After twenty minutes of travelling, we finally made it to the airport. Despite my doom and gloom, we have made it with plenty of time to spare. Now for the easier part. Getting through the airport. Luckily for us, it is not as busy as I thought it would be.

"Would you like a cup of coffee?" Nyck decides to offer me something.

"Sure," I say as I follow Nyck to one of the many cafes in the terminal. Thankfully it doesn't take long for us to get our respective drinks. Now for the most boring part. Waiting for the flight. After thirty minutes of waiting the time has come for the boarding. Luckily for us the airplane taking us to the Netherlands is small. After an hour and a half, we made it to Amsterdam. It doesn't take long for us to reach the hire car. With one movement Nyck has his hand out for the mandatory game of scissors, paper, rock. With one swift movement, Nyck wins the game. The truth is I am glad that he won. To be honest I don't feel like driving which sounds strange.

It has been a couple of days since then and Nyck and I have found ourselves in an interesting situation. Since the plan for this trip was for Nyck to visit his family he has decided to host a family gathering. I am happy about it however there is a catch. Since Nyck is hosting we have to do the cooking. The most Nyck has cooked for is three. Even then he had help from Mick and me yet it still managed to end in disaster.

"What's that smirk for?" Nyck pulls me out of my thoughts.

"I'm just thinking that we are not going to be the greatest at this," I say as I get to work on making sure that we have the right ingredients.

"I don't think it matters too much," Nyck is quick to join me in the search for ingredients. After a few minutes of looking Nyck and I have come to the conclusion that we need to get some things from the grocery store. It doesn't take long for me to write up a shopping list.

"Are you good to go?" Nyck checks on me as I double-check the list.

"Yep," I say as I offer my hand for the game of scissors, paper, rock. This time I won. After a few minutes of driving, we made it to the grocery store. For some reason I let my mind wander as Nyck and I look for the ingredients. For some reason, it wanders back to when Nyck and Mick came to cheer me up after they came back after the race in Monza.

It doesn't take long for me to summon Nyck back. We get to work on cooking the food. It is nice to see both healthy and unhealthy options. After thirty minutes of cooking, we are finished. For some reason, it makes the glimmer of hope slightly bigger. I am glad that both Mick and Nyck are stubborn otherwise I would have pushed them away completely. I am starting to feel like a new person but I know I have a long way to go. Mick and Nyck are quick to get ready however I am hesitant.

"Jess, you're going to be ok. If anyone is likely to screw up it is me," Nyck remarks. He is right but that is not what I am worried about.

"Don't worry. I know," I manage to muster enough enthusiasm to get ready. After ten minutes of cooking the kitchen has descended into chaos. It turns out the only one here with any skill at cooking is Mick. Even then he has managed to make a mess with the cake that he is attempting.

"Ach komm schon," I hear Mick mutter. He must be annoyed at the fact that he is making a mess.

"Don't worry. We'll clean everything once we are done," I find myself doing the reassuring this time. The thought manages to get a reluctant smile on my face.

"Is that a smile?" Nyck teases as he joins me. I'm just doing what they came here for.

"Get back to cooking Nyck," I snapped. Playfully of course. I know I can't afford to push them away. After two hours of cooking and cleaning the time has come for us to tuck in. I am the first to take a bite. To my surprise, the food was good considering that it was made by a trio of amateurs. I can feel the others glance at me. "The food is good," I let them know. As soon as I do Nyck and Mick get to work on their plate of food.The thought of that afternoon brings a smile to my face even though the reason for that meal was dark. Still, it is one of the moments that I need to treasure.

"What's got you smiling?" Nyck asks.

"I'm just thinking about the disaster that was you and Mick trying to cheer me up," As soon as those words make Nyck wince. After ten minutes of walking around, we have everything that we need for Nyck's family gathering. Thankfully it doesn't take long for us to get back to Nyck's place. It doesn't take us long to get to work on the cooking. As time goes by we find ourselves dancing around each other as we make sure everything is good to go. It seems as if time has sped up. We are suddenly ripped from our thoughts as a knock clatters through the house.

"I'll be back. That will be mum and dad. Just a heads up mum will probably want to help," Nyck warns me as he excuses himself.

"That will be fine," I reply. Even though we have survived without making a mess I would appreciate a little more help. Although there won't be much for her to do as Nyck and I got a bulk of the things done.

"Hoe dan ook Nyck, ik ga kijken of Jess hulp wil (Anyway Nyck I am going to see if Jess wants some help)," I hear the all too familiar sound of Dutch. I assume that it is Nyck's mum. Speaking of her, she is quick to join me.

"I was wondering if I could help," Nyck's mum announces her presence.

"Umm...no thank you. I think Nyck and I have everything under control," I politely decline. I really cannot think of anything for her to help me with. After ten more minutes the food is done and the rest of Nyck's family has arrived and the food is all ready. Now for the moment of truth. Luckily for me, the food seems to go down well. A conversation soon breaks out. I would join in however Nyck's family are mostly speaking Dutch. To be honest I am just using it as an excuse to let my mind wander again. If they want to chat with me they would use English. I think they just want to catch up with Nyck. I am not really complaining as that is what Nyck wanted to do.

"It seems as if I was wrong," I whisper to Nyck.

"About?" He asks.

"Us being bad at cooking," I say. The thing is the last time we cooked was so that Mick and Nyck could cheer me up and that was with three people that aren't really fused. A light chuckle falls from Nyck's mouth. It is at that moment that I realise he has a smirk on his face. That can only mean one thing. He is proud of his efforts. I can't blame him.